Now for something completely different: John 1:9

  • Don Garlington
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2002
      I am new to the List, and perhaps this question has
      arisen before. As the backdrop to John 1:9, has anyone
      considered Bar 4:1-2; Wis 18:4; and especially T. Levi
      14:4: �the light of the law which was granted to you
      for the enlightenment of every man?" The Testaments of
      the Twelve Patriarchs do contain Christian
      interpolations, but it seems unlikely that a Christian
      would designate the law as the "enlightenment of every
      man." Does anyone think that John is bouncing off this
      stream of tradition?

      Thanks.

      Don Garlington\
      Toronto

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Bob MacDonald
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 26, 2002
        Don
        welcome - I have just read Mary Coloe's book - God Dwells with Us; Temple
        Symbolism in the Fourth Gospel. In the prologue, she contrasts directly the
        gift of the Law with the gift of the word made flesh - 'the fullness of a
        gift that is true' 14d her translation; similarly vs 17 - 'the true gift
        came through Jesus Christ' in contrast to the law. So your suggestion that
        verse 9 might have the light of the Law as its background fits the explicit
        mention of the Law given through Moses in 17a.

        Her translations differ from the traditional (Her note page 27 following
        Bultmann and Moloney 1978). The 'true' light of verse 9 may find its refrain
        in the 'true' of vs 14 and 17 - strengthening the connection you suggest and
        contrasting it again with the first gift.

        She mentions Baruch 4:1 as identifying Wisdom with "the book of the
        commandments of God, and the law that endures forever", and also Sirach 24,
        but not the other passages you cite as far as I can tell from scanning the

        Bob

        mailto::BobMacDonald@...
        + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

        Catch the foxes for us,