Re: [John_Lit] Christmas

  • Don Garlington
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 26, 2002
      Dear Horace,

      You must be an American! When we arrived in England in
      '82, one of our first cultural surprises was Boxing
      Day. We too thought it must be the celebration of
      pugnatious activities, or such like. There are various
      explanations as to how the day got its name. Most
      probably, it arose from the practice of landlords
      delivering boxes of food and other gifts to their
      tenants the day after Christmas. So, Boxing Day is
      just the day after Christmas, which is observed here
      in Canada too. It's nice to have an additional day
      after Christmas as a kind of buffer to face the world
      again.

      Don

      --- Horace Jeffery Hodges <jefferyhodges@...>

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 26, 2002
        Don Garlington wrote:

        > Dear Horace,

        I prefer Jeffery.

        > You must be an American! When we arrived in England
        > in '82, one of our first cultural surprises was
        > Boxing Day. We too thought it must be the
        > celebration of pugnatious activities, or such like.
        > There are various explanations as to how the day got
        > its name. Most probably, it arose from the practice
        > of landlords delivering boxes of food and other
        > gifts to their tenants the day after Christmas. So,
        > Boxing Day is just the day after Christmas, which is
        > observed here in Canada too. It's nice to have an
        > additional day after Christmas as a kind of buffer
        > to face the world again.

        Actually, I had been waiting several years to make my
        punning joke. I, too, have experienced Boxing Day
        through several Christmastide visits to England to see
        friends.

        I've also heard similar explanations as to the
        holiday's origin.

        Best Regards,

        447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com