Re: [John_Lit] Christmas

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 26, 2002
      > Happy boxing day!

      Boxing Day? What's that -- the feast day of St. Pugnacious?

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Don Garlington
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 26, 2002
        Dear Horace,

        You must be an American! When we arrived in England in
        '82, one of our first cultural surprises was Boxing
        Day. We too thought it must be the celebration of
        pugnatious activities, or such like. There are various
        explanations as to how the day got its name. Most
        probably, it arose from the practice of landlords
        delivering boxes of food and other gifts to their
        tenants the day after Christmas. So, Boxing Day is
        just the day after Christmas, which is observed here
        in Canada too. It's nice to have an additional day
        after Christmas as a kind of buffer to face the world
        again.

        Don

        --- Horace Jeffery Hodges <jefferyhodges@...>

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 26, 2002
          Don Garlington wrote:

          > Dear Horace,

          I prefer Jeffery.

          > You must be an American! When we arrived in England
          > in '82, one of our first cultural surprises was
          > Boxing Day. We too thought it must be the
          > celebration of pugnatious activities, or such like.
          > There are various explanations as to how the day got
          > its name. Most probably, it arose from the practice
          > of landlords delivering boxes of food and other
          > gifts to their tenants the day after Christmas. So,
          > Boxing Day is just the day after Christmas, which is
          > observed here in Canada too. It's nice to have an
          > additional day after Christmas as a kind of buffer
          > to face the world again.

          Actually, I had been waiting several years to make my
          punning joke. I, too, have experienced Boxing Day
          through several Christmastide visits to England to see
          friends.

          I've also heard similar explanations as to the
          holiday's origin.

          Best Regards,

          447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com