Christmas

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 24, 2002
      A Happy Christmas to one and all

      Best Wishes

      JOHN E STATON
    • Don Garlington
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 25, 2002
        Merci beaucoup. Joyeux No�l de Canada.

        Don Garlington
        Toronto

        --- John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote:
        > A Happy Christmas to one and all
        >
        > Best Wishes
        >
        > JOHN E STATON
        >

        > SUBSCRIBE: e-mail
        > UNSUBSCRIBE: e-mail
        > PROBLEMS?: e-mail

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 26, 2002
          Hi Don,
          Any news on the McMaster's front? Happy boxing day!
          Steve

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 26, 2002
            > Happy boxing day!

            Boxing Day? What's that -- the feast day of St. Pugnacious?

            447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Don Garlington
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 26, 2002
              Dear Horace,

              You must be an American! When we arrived in England in
              '82, one of our first cultural surprises was Boxing
              Day. We too thought it must be the celebration of
              pugnatious activities, or such like. There are various
              explanations as to how the day got its name. Most
              probably, it arose from the practice of landlords
              delivering boxes of food and other gifts to their
              tenants the day after Christmas. So, Boxing Day is
              just the day after Christmas, which is observed here
              in Canada too. It's nice to have an additional day
              after Christmas as a kind of buffer to face the world
              again.

              Don

              --- Horace Jeffery Hodges <jefferyhodges@...>

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 26, 2002
                Don Garlington wrote:

                > Dear Horace,

                I prefer Jeffery.

                > You must be an American! When we arrived in England
                > in '82, one of our first cultural surprises was
                > Boxing Day. We too thought it must be the
                > celebration of pugnatious activities, or such like.
                > There are various explanations as to how the day got
                > its name. Most probably, it arose from the practice
                > of landlords delivering boxes of food and other
                > gifts to their tenants the day after Christmas. So,
                > Boxing Day is just the day after Christmas, which is
                > observed here in Canada too. It's nice to have an
                > additional day after Christmas as a kind of buffer
                > to face the world again.

                Actually, I had been waiting several years to make my
                punning joke. I, too, have experienced Boxing Day
                through several Christmastide visits to England to see
                friends.

                I've also heard similar explanations as to the
                holiday's origin.

                Best Regards,

                447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com