Re: [John_Lit] John 19:30

  • Mary Coloe
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2002
      Moloney John Sacra Pagina 509 discusses this and renders it handed over the
      Spirit.
    • Bob MacDonald
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2002
        Thank you, Mary, and all who answered my somewhat confused question

        I came across a thought today that might lend some additional theological
        strength to the giving of the Spirit at the death of Jesus:

        A prayer of Hildebert (1056-1133)
        O holy Ghost, O faithful Paraclete, Love of the Father and the Son, In whom
        begetter and begotten meet

        In that we are begot in Christ by his death, and we meet him there - this is
        a consistent invitation to the foot of the cross, the mercy seat in the
        terms of Hebrews, and the being 'born from above' that Mary suggests is
        inherent also in this image of the handing over of the Spirit.

        I used this prayer at Compline last night but didn't see its relevance to my
        question till mid-day today. a little intertextual interpreting.

        for the full text of the prayer see my unpacking the liturgy page:
        http://bmd.gx.ca/understanding_the_content_of_wor.htm and click on a lesson
        for Compline

        Mary

        I am intrigued that you did not invoke or reference any of the typology of
        Hebrews in your book - it is such a strong parallel to many (most) of the
        images you did develop.

        Bob

        mailto::BobMacDonald@...
        + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +