Re: John 19:30

  • adisciple2 <smosher0@lycos.com>
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2002
      I agree that 19:30 (literally, "giving up/over the Spirit") is about
      Jesus giving the Spirit after his death. But here, as elsewhere in
      Jn., I think it's more a proleptic anticipation of what Jesus will do
      (later after his resurrection when he breathes on the disciples and
      says receive the Spirit, though even this "foreshadows" the later
      Pentecost event of Acts).

      This future giving of the Spirit is clearly announced in Jn. 7:37-39
      (the living water/Spirit will flow out of "his" belly after Jesus is
      glorified). I think this is also fulfilled in a proleptic way in Jn.
      19:34, shortly after the verse being discussed (19:30). After the
      soldier pierces Jesus' side, blood and water come out. The witness
      of this emphasizes the truth of this account to accent its
      importance. Thus the water fulfils the living water/Spirit flowing
      out after his death/glorification.

      So 19:30 fits into this motif also. Various other passages
      throughout Jn. could also be cited as similar metaphors for this
      motif. And much of Jn. 14-16 emphasizes the importance of Jesus
      sending/giving the Paraclete/Spirit after he departs.

      Steve Mosher

      --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, Bob MacDonald
      <bobmacdonald@s...> wrote:
      > RSV has he gave up his spirit
      >
      > NET has a literal note : he bowed his head and gave over the spirit
      >
      > Mary Coloe in her God Dwells with Us points out that the Greek gave
      over is
      > the same as the word for betrayed in 18:2, and 18:5, also the word
      is used
      > in 18:35, 36, 19:11, 16 (p189) - i.e. it is a theme in the passion
      story.

      > She suggests that John is referring to a 'handing over' of the
      Spirit here.