John 19:30

  • Bob MacDonald
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 8, 2002
      RSV has he gave up his spirit

      NET has a literal note : he bowed his head and gave over the spirit

      Mary Coloe in her God Dwells with Us points out that the Greek gave over is
      the same as the word for betrayed in 18:2, and 18:5, also the word is used
      in 18:35, 36, 19:11, 16 (p189) - i.e. it is a theme in the passion story.

      She suggests that John is referring to a 'handing over' of the Spirit here.

      Any one else have a thought on what this might mean?

      I think I am too influenced by the Bach St John Passion to think of
      transference of the Spirit here - not to the disciples anyway.
      though perhaps the separation of 'death' is a kind of a contradiction in the
      relationships of the Son and the Spirit - i.e. a kind of betrayal.

      weird thoughts

      Bob

      mailto::BobMacDonald@...
      + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

      Catch the foxes for us,
      http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
    • wali van lohuizen
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 2002
        Dear Bob MacDonald,

        In a paper for the Translation Section of SBL 2000 (Being in Spirit: on the Pericopes in the Synoptic Gospels with En Pneumati) I have suggested the same as Mary Coloe does: 'handed over the spirit' (or Spirit? alway a tricky decision).
        I think this is very convincing if one assumes the spirit is in Jesus, or maybe in the human being. That is what I argued in that paper (besides that [some] human beings may be in (the) (holy) spirit). For both propositions I have found quite a few convincing arguments in the Gospels, apart from those below:

        Mt 27:50 is a bit different but close to 'hand over': 'let go the spirit' (apheken).
        Lk 23:46 is quite near to Jn with the extra phrase 'paratithemai to pneuma mou'.
        For this Rienecker's Sprachlicher Schluessel gives 'zur Aufbewahrung niederlegen, anvertrauen, anbefehlen'.
        In the Kittel Maurer speaks of 'commending His spirit'. Generally it is translated as ' commit' or 'commend', which is similar but less strong.
        Then he speaks of 'exepneusen', which is related to pneuma of course: 'breathes out the spirit'.

        Wali van Lohuizen
        Amsterdam, Holland

      • Big_Mart_98 <big_mart_98@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2002
          --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, Bob MacDonald
          <bobmacdonald@s...> wrote:
          > RSV has he gave up his spirit
          >
          > NET has a literal note : he bowed his head and gave over the spirit
          >
          > Mary Coloe in her God Dwells with Us points out that the Greek gave
          over is
          > the same as the word for betrayed in 18:2, and 18:5, also the word
          is used
          > in 18:35, 36, 19:11, 16 (p189) - i.e. it is a theme in the passion
          story.

          There is both more and less to this than meets the eye. The word does
          not necessarily, or even often, mean "betray", but it does often mean
          "arrest". St Paul may thereforre just have meant, "the night when he
          was arrested", and the bit about Judas may be an overwrite designed to
          calumniate Jesus's brother Judas (Matt. 13.55).
          Martin Edwards.
        • adisciple2 <smosher0@lycos.com>
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 9, 2002
            I agree that 19:30 (literally, "giving up/over the Spirit") is about
            Jesus giving the Spirit after his death. But here, as elsewhere in
            Jn., I think it's more a proleptic anticipation of what Jesus will do
            (later after his resurrection when he breathes on the disciples and
            says receive the Spirit, though even this "foreshadows" the later
            Pentecost event of Acts).

            This future giving of the Spirit is clearly announced in Jn. 7:37-39
            (the living water/Spirit will flow out of "his" belly after Jesus is
            glorified). I think this is also fulfilled in a proleptic way in Jn.
            19:34, shortly after the verse being discussed (19:30). After the
            soldier pierces Jesus' side, blood and water come out. The witness
            of this emphasizes the truth of this account to accent its
            importance. Thus the water fulfils the living water/Spirit flowing
            out after his death/glorification.

            So 19:30 fits into this motif also. Various other passages
            throughout Jn. could also be cited as similar metaphors for this
            motif. And much of Jn. 14-16 emphasizes the importance of Jesus
            sending/giving the Paraclete/Spirit after he departs.

            Steve Mosher