Re: [John_Lit] Thanksgiving

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 27, 2002
      I want to take this opportunity to wish all of you a happy thanksgiving day.
      As the smells of great cooking permeate our homes, let us remember those who
      have no home. As we enjoy the company of our friends, let us remember those
      who are lonely. As we enjoy the food, let us remember the hungry.

      shlama amkon

      Jack
    • Bob MacDonald
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2002
        A technical question

        Mary Coloe in her God Dwells with Us indicates that the following is in
        Isaiah 41:4 and 43:10

        in reverse order (Aleph-nun-yod dash? He-.waw-aleph)

        She links this to the ego eimi of John

        My problem is I cannot see these letters in the Hebrew Bible I have access
        to - (Blue letter online)

        Can someone help my limited vision and transliteration?

        thanks

        Bob

        mailto::BobMacDonald@...
        + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

        Catch the foxes for us,
        http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2002
          Bob MacDonald wrote:

          > A technical question
          >
          > Mary Coloe in her God Dwells with Us indicates that
          > the following is in Isaiah 41:4 and 43:10
          >
          > in reverse order (Aleph-nun-yod dash? He-.waw-aleph)
          >
          > She links this to the ego eimi of John
          >
          > My problem is I cannot see these letters in the
          > Hebrew Bible I have access to - (Blue letter online)
          >
          > Can someone help my limited vision and
          > transliteration?

          Perhaps this will help:

          aleph-nun-yod [= I] dash He-waw-aleph [= he] = "I [am]
          he"

          This is at the end of Isaiah 41:4 and in the middle of
          Isaiah 43:10.

          I don't have Mary Coloe's book, so I cannot comment
          upon it.

          447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • John E Staton
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
            Bob wrote:
            " Mary Coloe in her God Dwells with Us indicates that the following is in
            > Isaiah 41:4 and 43:10
            >
            > in reverse order (Aleph-nun-yod dash? He-.waw-aleph)
            >
            > She links this to the ego eimi of John"

            Makes sense to me, even without reading the book. The links between "Second
            Isaiah" and John have been noted by numerous scholars, and the force of this
            phrase does seem to parallel Jesus use of "I am" in the fourth gospel. Very
            interesting. Perhaps I should get hold of the book

            Best Wishes

            JOHN E STATON
          • Bob MacDonald
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2002
              John Staton wrote
              >>Perhaps I should get hold of the book

              I have no trouble recommending it, John. I am hoping someone took notes at
              the discussion on this book at the SBL meeting and that perhaps some of the
              questions will arise here on this list.

              The Isaiah 43:10 in the source I have seems to lack the I am he in Hebrew -
              the word opposite the "that I [am] he" is paniym : before with a Lamed in
              front of it. I suspect the compilers did not want to transliterate these but
              in this verse the Hebrew is missing too.

              (This is straight out of the advent prose - very good timing for my current
              reading.)

              When were the Targums of Isaiah written? They seem very influenced by the
              Gospel - not vice versa. The DSS finds were not such targums were they?
              Would this interpretive scheme be current in the first century?

              Bob

              mailto::BobMacDonald@...
              + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

              Catch the foxes for us,
              http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
            • Mary Coloe
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2002
                Dear Bob - Targum dating is extremely difficult as in these documents show
                signs of a long history of development ranging from BCE into the 5th and
                6th century CE and even beyond. So yes the Targums could well have been
                influenced by our Gospel. the key to their usefulness is if you can find a
                definitely pre-Gospel tradition showing the same type of exegetical trend
                i.e. by comparing with other pre-gospel writing such as the DSS or
                Jubilees.

                Dr. Mary Coloe pbvm
                Australian Catholic University Limited
                (ABN 15050 192660)

                Locked Bag 4115
                Fitzroy. VIC 3065 AUSTRALIA

                ph (61 + 3) 99533137 Fax (61 + 3) 99533245
                M.Coloe@...
              • Bob MacDonald
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 8, 2002
                  RSV has he gave up his spirit

                  NET has a literal note : he bowed his head and gave over the spirit

                  Mary Coloe in her God Dwells with Us points out that the Greek gave over is
                  the same as the word for betrayed in 18:2, and 18:5, also the word is used
                  in 18:35, 36, 19:11, 16 (p189) - i.e. it is a theme in the passion story.

                  She suggests that John is referring to a 'handing over' of the Spirit here.

                  Any one else have a thought on what this might mean?

                  I think I am too influenced by the Bach St John Passion to think of
                  transference of the Spirit here - not to the disciples anyway.
                  though perhaps the separation of 'death' is a kind of a contradiction in the
                  relationships of the Son and the Spirit - i.e. a kind of betrayal.

                  weird thoughts

                  Bob

                  mailto::BobMacDonald@...
                  + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

                  Catch the foxes for us,
                  http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
                • wali van lohuizen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 9, 2002
                    Dear Bob MacDonald,

                    In a paper for the Translation Section of SBL 2000 (Being in Spirit: on the Pericopes in the Synoptic Gospels with En Pneumati) I have suggested the same as Mary Coloe does: 'handed over the spirit' (or Spirit? alway a tricky decision).
                    I think this is very convincing if one assumes the spirit is in Jesus, or maybe in the human being. That is what I argued in that paper (besides that [some] human beings may be in (the) (holy) spirit). For both propositions I have found quite a few convincing arguments in the Gospels, apart from those below:

                    Mt 27:50 is a bit different but close to 'hand over': 'let go the spirit' (apheken).
                    Lk 23:46 is quite near to Jn with the extra phrase 'paratithemai to pneuma mou'.
                    For this Rienecker's Sprachlicher Schluessel gives 'zur Aufbewahrung niederlegen, anvertrauen, anbefehlen'.
                    In the Kittel Maurer speaks of 'commending His spirit'. Generally it is translated as ' commit' or 'commend', which is similar but less strong.
                    Then he speaks of 'exepneusen', which is related to pneuma of course: 'breathes out the spirit'.

                    Wali van Lohuizen
                    Amsterdam, Holland

                  • Big_Mart_98 <big_mart_98@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 9, 2002
                      --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, Bob MacDonald
                      <bobmacdonald@s...> wrote:
                      > RSV has he gave up his spirit
                      >
                      > NET has a literal note : he bowed his head and gave over the spirit
                      >
                      > Mary Coloe in her God Dwells with Us points out that the Greek gave
                      over is
                      > the same as the word for betrayed in 18:2, and 18:5, also the word
                      is used
                      > in 18:35, 36, 19:11, 16 (p189) - i.e. it is a theme in the passion
                      story.

                      There is both more and less to this than meets the eye. The word does
                      not necessarily, or even often, mean "betray", but it does often mean
                      "arrest". St Paul may thereforre just have meant, "the night when he
                      was arrested", and the bit about Judas may be an overwrite designed to
                      calumniate Jesus's brother Judas (Matt. 13.55).
                      Martin Edwards.
                    • adisciple2 <smosher0@lycos.com>
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 9, 2002
                        I agree that 19:30 (literally, "giving up/over the Spirit") is about
                        Jesus giving the Spirit after his death. But here, as elsewhere in
                        Jn., I think it's more a proleptic anticipation of what Jesus will do
                        (later after his resurrection when he breathes on the disciples and
                        says receive the Spirit, though even this "foreshadows" the later
                        Pentecost event of Acts).

                        This future giving of the Spirit is clearly announced in Jn. 7:37-39
                        (the living water/Spirit will flow out of "his" belly after Jesus is
                        glorified). I think this is also fulfilled in a proleptic way in Jn.
                        19:34, shortly after the verse being discussed (19:30). After the
                        soldier pierces Jesus' side, blood and water come out. The witness
                        of this emphasizes the truth of this account to accent its
                        importance. Thus the water fulfils the living water/Spirit flowing
                        out after his death/glorification.

                        So 19:30 fits into this motif also. Various other passages
                        throughout Jn. could also be cited as similar metaphors for this
                        motif. And much of Jn. 14-16 emphasizes the importance of Jesus
                        sending/giving the Paraclete/Spirit after he departs.

                        Steve Mosher