Re: [John_Lit] RE: Conference?

  • Thomas W Butler
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2002
      Dear Beth,
      I'm just catching up on all of the e-mail that arrived while I was at
      the SBL conference. Fortunately, I was able to get one of the hand-
      outs to which you referred. Here is the information on it:

      Life in Abundance: An International Conference on Johannine Studies
      In Memory of Raymond E. Brown, S.S. October 16-18, 2003
      St. Mary's Seminary and University (in Baltimore, Maryland).

      A two-day conference devoted to the major significance of Raymond E.
      Brown's Johannine scholarship. The conference will include public
      lectures and specialized colloquia examining various aspects of
      Raymond Brown's work, in dialog with scholarship subsequent to his
      death. The papers from the conference will subsequently be collected
      for publication as a scholarly monograph.

      Keynote address, Oct. 16, 2003: Godfried Cardinal Danneels, Archbishop
      of Malines-Brussels.

      Major Addresses by:

      Professor Francis J. Maloney, S.D.B., Katherine Drexel Professor of
      Religious Studies, Catholic University of America, author of The Gospel
      of John and The Johannine Son of Man. "The Gospel of John: The
      Legacy of Raymond E. Brown and Beyond." Respondent: Prof. Alan
      Culpepper, Dean: MacAfee School of Theology, Mercer University.

      Professor Joseph A. Fitzmeyer, S.J. Professor Emeritus, Catholic
      University of America. Recent Studies on John and Qumran.
      Respondent: Prof. Daniel Harrington, S.J. Weston Jesuit School of
      Theology.

      Professor Burton L. Visotzky, Jewish Theological Seminary.
      "Methodological Considerations in the Study of John's Interaction
      with First-Century Judaism" Respondent: Prof. Adele Reinhartz,
      Dean of Graduate Studies, Wilfrid Laurier University, Ontario, CA.

      Professor Craig Koester, Luther Theological Seminary, Minneapolis,
      "The Word of God and the Human Condition: Exploring the Theology
      of John's Gospel" Respondent: Prof. Gail O'Day, Candler School of
      Theology, Emory University

      Professor Sandra M. Schneiders, I.H.M., Jesuit School of Theology,
      Berkeley, "The Resurrection (of the Body) in the Fourth Gospel: A
      Key to Johannine Spirituality" [Respondent to be designated]

      Professor Ron Witherup, S.S. Professor of New Testament, St. Patrick's
      Seminary, Menlo Park, Ca. Prvincial of the Sulpicians, Theology of
      Pastoral Writings of Raymond Brown Respondent: Dr. Marion Soards,
      Presbyterian Theological Seminary

      Professor Johannes Beutler, S.J. Professor, Pontifical Biblical
      Institute,
      Rome. [topic to be specified]

      The Conference will conclude with a "Scholars Roundtable" to discuss
      future directions of Johannine Studies. A complete bibliography of
      Raymond E. Brown's writings will be available at the Conference.

      Corrdinator of the Conference, Rev. John R. Donahue, S.J.
      For further information on attending, contact Mrs. Elizabeth Visconage,
      Vice-President of Institutional Advancement, St. Mary's Seminary and
      University, 5400 Roland Ave., Baltimore, MD, 21210, Phone: 410-864-
      4261, e-mail: bvisconage@...

      Hope this helps.