RE: [John_Lit] RE: Conference?

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2002
      Hi there, Beth, nice to see you at the Toronto meetings! Here's the information on the conference, as distributed by John Donahue:

      Theme: "Life in Abundance; An International Conference on Johannine Studies In Memory of Raymond E. Brown, S.S."

      Dates: October 16-18, 2003

      Location: St Mary's Seminary & University, 5400 Roland Ave. Baltimore, MD 21210

      Coordinator of Conference: Rev. John R. Donahue, S.J.

      Information: Mrs. Elizabeth Visconage, bvisconage@...

      It looks like it will be an excellent conference, and an excellent selection of themes and scholars is being organized by John Donahue.

      May I also remind my colleagues of the St Andrews Conference on The Gospel of John and Christian Theology, hosted and organized by Richard Bauckham (see http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/academic/divinity/john_2.html).

      These promise to be excellent opportunities for the international community of Johannine scholars to engage and further our investigations together.

      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Paul N. Anderson
      George Fox University
      Newberg, OR 97132

      PS Thanks to all who participated in the Jesus, John, and History Consultation at the Toronto meetings. We'll submit a brief report soon.

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 27, 2002
        Dear Beth,
        I'm just catching up on all of the e-mail that arrived while I was at
        the SBL conference. Fortunately, I was able to get one of the hand-
        outs to which you referred. Here is the information on it:

        Life in Abundance: An International Conference on Johannine Studies
        In Memory of Raymond E. Brown, S.S. October 16-18, 2003
        St. Mary's Seminary and University (in Baltimore, Maryland).

        A two-day conference devoted to the major significance of Raymond E.
        Brown's Johannine scholarship. The conference will include public
        lectures and specialized colloquia examining various aspects of
        Raymond Brown's work, in dialog with scholarship subsequent to his
        death. The papers from the conference will subsequently be collected
        for publication as a scholarly monograph.

        Keynote address, Oct. 16, 2003: Godfried Cardinal Danneels, Archbishop
        of Malines-Brussels.

        Major Addresses by:

        Professor Francis J. Maloney, S.D.B., Katherine Drexel Professor of
        Religious Studies, Catholic University of America, author of The Gospel
        of John and The Johannine Son of Man. "The Gospel of John: The
        Legacy of Raymond E. Brown and Beyond." Respondent: Prof. Alan
        Culpepper, Dean: MacAfee School of Theology, Mercer University.

        Professor Joseph A. Fitzmeyer, S.J. Professor Emeritus, Catholic
        University of America. Recent Studies on John and Qumran.
        Respondent: Prof. Daniel Harrington, S.J. Weston Jesuit School of
        Theology.

        Professor Burton L. Visotzky, Jewish Theological Seminary.
        "Methodological Considerations in the Study of John's Interaction
        with First-Century Judaism" Respondent: Prof. Adele Reinhartz,
        Dean of Graduate Studies, Wilfrid Laurier University, Ontario, CA.

        Professor Craig Koester, Luther Theological Seminary, Minneapolis,
        "The Word of God and the Human Condition: Exploring the Theology
        of John's Gospel" Respondent: Prof. Gail O'Day, Candler School of
        Theology, Emory University

        Professor Sandra M. Schneiders, I.H.M., Jesuit School of Theology,
        Berkeley, "The Resurrection (of the Body) in the Fourth Gospel: A
        Key to Johannine Spirituality" [Respondent to be designated]

        Professor Ron Witherup, S.S. Professor of New Testament, St. Patrick's
        Seminary, Menlo Park, Ca. Prvincial of the Sulpicians, Theology of
        Pastoral Writings of Raymond Brown Respondent: Dr. Marion Soards,
        Presbyterian Theological Seminary

        Professor Johannes Beutler, S.J. Professor, Pontifical Biblical
        Institute,
        Rome. [topic to be specified]

        The Conference will conclude with a "Scholars Roundtable" to discuss
        future directions of Johannine Studies. A complete bibliography of
        Raymond E. Brown's writings will be available at the Conference.

        Corrdinator of the Conference, Rev. John R. Donahue, S.J.
        For further information on attending, contact Mrs. Elizabeth Visconage,
        Vice-President of Institutional Advancement, St. Mary's Seminary and
        University, 5400 Roland Ave., Baltimore, MD, 21210, Phone: 410-864-
        4261, e-mail: bvisconage@...

        Hope this helps.