RE: [John_Lit] List Origins

  • Just, Felix
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2002
      Mark - The predecessor of the two current Johannine groups (the academic
      "Johannine Literature" and the non-academic "Gospel of John") was a listserv
      called JOHNLITR, hosted by Prof. Joe Gagne of the University of South
      Carolina at Sumter (see http://www.uscsumter.edu/, or esp.
      http://www.uscsumter.edu/facstaff/jogagne.htm). I don't know exactly what
      year he started it, but think it was the very early 90's, if not the late
      80's. I understand that Joe will be at the SBL meeting - at least he's on
      Jeffrey Gibson's list of attendees.

      See you soon!
      Felix
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Felix Just, S.J., Ph.D. - Director
      Center for Religion and Spirituality
      Loyola Marymount University
      One LMU Drive, Suite 1840
      Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659
      310-338-2799; FAX 310-338-2706
      http://extension.lmu.edu/religion
      http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    • Joe Gagne
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27, 2002
        I am sorry to get back to you so late, but I was at SBL also. I founded
        the original listserv on JOHNLITR in 1996 at the University of South
        Carolina .

        Mark Goodacre wrote:

        >I'd be grateful if anyone on the list is able to inform me of the
        >date of origin of the Johannine Literature group. I know that Felix
        >Just, S. J. established it on its current footing with new homepage,
        >new host etc. in 1999, but how old is the group out of which it grew?
        > Who hosted the old group?
        >
        >Thanks for your help on this; I am looking for some background
        >information for a short talk on the e-lists on Saturday at the SBL's
        >CARG session.
        >
        >Mark
        >-----------------------------
        >Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre@...
        > Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        > Birmingham B15 2TT UK
        >
        >http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        >http://NTGateway.com

        Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr., PhD. He who adds not to his learning
        Associate Professor diminishes it.
        joegagne@... --The Talmud
        Virus free e-mail scan by Norton
      • Joe Gagne
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 27, 2002
          I just looked at my e-mail and realized that I put 1996, should be 1990.
          Sorry.

          Mark Goodacre wrote:

          >I'd be grateful if anyone on the list is able to inform me of the
          >date of origin of the Johannine Literature group. I know that Felix
          >Just, S. J. established it on its current footing with new homepage,
          >new host etc. in 1999, but how old is the group out of which it grew?
          > Who hosted the old group?
          >
          >Thanks for your help on this; I am looking for some background
          >information for a short talk on the e-lists on Saturday at the SBL's
          >CARG session.
          >
          >Mark
          >-----------------------------
          >Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre@...
          > Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
          > Birmingham B15 2TT UK
          >
          >http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
          >http://NTGateway.com

          Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr., PhD. He who adds not to his learning
          Associate Professor diminishes it.
          joegagne@... --The Talmud
          Virus free e-mail scan by Norton
        • Beth Sheppard
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27, 2002
            Hello. During Monday's Johannine Literature session at SBL, an
            announcement was made concerning a Johannine Literature conference in
            honor of the memory of Raymond E. Brown. Unfortunately, I had to depart
            the session early to catch a plane and was not able to pick up the flyer
            concerning this conference. If anyone knows the details about this
            event, would you please be so kind as to pass them on to me?

            Thank you.

            Beth M. Sheppard
            Southwestern College, KS

            bsheppar@...