Re: [John_Lit] List Origins

  • Mary Coloe
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2002
      Mark I joined this group following an International SBL meeting in
      Melbourne which was back in 1992/3 I think. So it was existing back then.
    • Just, Felix
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 20, 2002
        Mark - The predecessor of the two current Johannine groups (the academic
        "Johannine Literature" and the non-academic "Gospel of John") was a listserv
        called JOHNLITR, hosted by Prof. Joe Gagne of the University of South
        Carolina at Sumter (see http://www.uscsumter.edu/, or esp.
        http://www.uscsumter.edu/facstaff/jogagne.htm). I don't know exactly what
        year he started it, but think it was the very early 90's, if not the late
        80's. I understand that Joe will be at the SBL meeting - at least he's on
        Jeffrey Gibson's list of attendees.

        See you soon!
        Felix
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Felix Just, S.J., Ph.D. - Director
        Center for Religion and Spirituality
        Loyola Marymount University
        One LMU Drive, Suite 1840
        Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659
        310-338-2799; FAX 310-338-2706
        http://extension.lmu.edu/religion
        http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      • Joe Gagne
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 27, 2002
          I am sorry to get back to you so late, but I was at SBL also. I founded
          the original listserv on JOHNLITR in 1996 at the University of South
          Carolina .

          Mark Goodacre wrote:

          >I'd be grateful if anyone on the list is able to inform me of the
          >date of origin of the Johannine Literature group. I know that Felix
          >Just, S. J. established it on its current footing with new homepage,
          >new host etc. in 1999, but how old is the group out of which it grew?
          > Who hosted the old group?
          >
          >Thanks for your help on this; I am looking for some background
          >information for a short talk on the e-lists on Saturday at the SBL's
          >CARG session.
          >
          >Mark
          >-----------------------------
          >Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre@...
          > Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
          > Birmingham B15 2TT UK
          >
          >http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
          >http://NTGateway.com

          Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr., PhD. He who adds not to his learning
          Associate Professor diminishes it.
          joegagne@... --The Talmud
          Virus free e-mail scan by Norton
        • Joe Gagne
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27, 2002
            I just looked at my e-mail and realized that I put 1996, should be 1990.
            Sorry.

            Mark Goodacre wrote:

            >I'd be grateful if anyone on the list is able to inform me of the
            >date of origin of the Johannine Literature group. I know that Felix
            >Just, S. J. established it on its current footing with new homepage,
            >new host etc. in 1999, but how old is the group out of which it grew?
            > Who hosted the old group?
            >
            >Thanks for your help on this; I am looking for some background
            >information for a short talk on the e-lists on Saturday at the SBL's
            >CARG session.
            >
            >Mark
            >-----------------------------
            >Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre@...
            > Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
            > Birmingham B15 2TT UK
            >
            >http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
            >http://NTGateway.com

            Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr., PhD. He who adds not to his learning
            Associate Professor diminishes it.
            joegagne@... --The Talmud
            Virus free e-mail scan by Norton
          • Beth Sheppard
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 27, 2002
              Hello. During Monday's Johannine Literature session at SBL, an
              announcement was made concerning a Johannine Literature conference in
              honor of the memory of Raymond E. Brown. Unfortunately, I had to depart
              the session early to catch a plane and was not able to pick up the flyer
              concerning this conference. If anyone knows the details about this
              event, would you please be so kind as to pass them on to me?

              Thank you.

              Beth M. Sheppard
              Southwestern College, KS

              bsheppar@...