Re: ??? Man healed by the pool

  • adisciple2
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 16 10:36 AM
      Hi Charles,

      Though I am new to this group, I will jump in and try to begin an
      answer to your questions.

      The temple has been mentioned before 5:14 only in 2:14f. where the
      context is also a feast of the Jews (2:13, where Passover is the
      feast). So the feast of the Jews in 5:1, along with the sabbath of
      5:9ff., would be reasons why the healed man ends up in the temple. I
      think also the transition from being a lonely outcast for decades to
      being a healed "center of attention" led him to the center of the
      feast and sabbath, viz., the temple.

      As to why Jesus tracked him down, there are again some connections
      with 2:14. In 5:14, it says "Jesus found him in the temple." Cf.
      2:14 ("In the temple he found those who were selling . . .") Jesus
      finds people in order to confront them with the truth. Note also
      1:43 where Jesus found Philip and told him, "Follow me."

      The earlier confrontation in the temple between Jesus and the Jews
      also prepares the reader for further confrontation there between
      Jesus, the Jews, and the healed man. This has become part of the
      story since 5:10 when the Jews confront the man with his breaking the
      law on the sabbath. (The Jews here are leaders, probably Pharisees,
      who had a special concern for their oral traditions about the
      sabbath.) In 5:11 the man tries to put the blame on the one who
      healed him, showing fear of the Jews. He is not just giving
      information but is responding to their accusation.

      Thus in 5:14 when Jesus finds him in the temple celebrating the feast
      and sabbath of the Jews, he tells him to stop sinning or worse will
      happen to him. His sinning so far has been to fear the Jews, and
      then honoring them more than Jesus by trying to put the blame on
      Jesus so the man himself can be cleared. Jesus' confronts him in the
      temple to warn him that if he continues "under" the Jews, afraid of
      their judgment, a worse thing will happen. The worse thing is Jesus'
      own judgment, declared in Jesus' confrontation with the Jews in
      5:22ff. Those who do not honor the Son and who do evil (sin) will
      finally face the resurrection of judgment (5:23,29).

      You also asked about parallel passages. The closest parallel passage
      is Jn. 9 where Jesus heals the blind man. This man also faces the
      Jews/Pharisees in 9:13, who again raise the issue of healing on the
      sabbath (9:14,16). Also, like the healed man of Jn. 5, the healed
      blind man tells the Pharisees that Jesus healed him. But this is not
      done to escape their blame, since in 9:17, when they ask him what he
      thinks of Jesus, he replies "He is a prophet."

      When the healed blind man's parents are then questioned, they respond
      more like the healed man of Jn. 5. They become afraid of the Jews,
      knowing the Jews had agreed that if any confessed Christ, they would
      be put out of the synagogue (9:22).

      On the other hand, the healed blind man becomes even more bold as the
      Jews question him further, even asking them (satirically) if they
      want to hear his story again because they too want to become Jesus'
      disciples (9:27). So this man is a definite contrast to the healed
      man of Jn. 5.

      The result of his confronting the Jews and standing up for Jesus is
      his being thrown out by the Jews (9:34; what his parents feared
      earlier). But in 9:35, Jesus "found" him and revealed further truth
      to him such that he ends up worshiping Jesus (9:38).

      The two healed men of Jn. 5 and 9 are contrasts, representative of
      those who experience miracles/signs and see, or don't see, the fuller
      truth about Jesus and the eternal life he gives.

      Steve Mosher

      --- In johannine_literature@y..., CStarWrk@a... wrote:
      > Group,
      > Does anyone have any insight to what was going on in John 5:14-15?
      This is