[John_Lit] Re: the adelphoi

  • ejdanna@trapdoor.arvotek.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 1999
      On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, David Rensberger wrote:

      > them from this role. It may be, then, that 20:17 is meant to reinforce
      > this displacement of Jesus' physical brothers by his believing
      > disciples.
      This displacement, however, is not unknown in the Synoptics. See e.g.
      Mk. 3:31-35; 10:28-30parr.
      Elizabeth Danna
    • ProfRam@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 1999
        In Jn 20:17, the matter of direct vs. indirect discourse is rather a tough
        call. But it seems to me it has to be indirect because Mary is not told to
        say, "I am ascending" (*she* is obviously not ascending), but either "He is
        ascending" or "He said, 'I am ascending.'"

        Thus I would translate, "Go to my brothers and tell them that I am ascending
        to my Father and your Father, and my God and your God." This leaves open
        just a crack the possibility that Mary might be included in the "your," but
        even as indirect discourse the possibility is remote at best. The play
        between "brothers" and "Father" tells against it, as does the accent on the
        fact that Mary is to say it "to them" (autois).

        Just by the way, notice also the abrupt shift from direct to indirect
        discourse in v 18, a shift which seems to have bothered the scribes so that
        they tried out a couple of variants: Mary told the disciples that "'I have
        seen the Lord,' and he said these things to her."

        Ramsey Michaels