RE: [John_Lit] Flesh and Blood

  • Bob MacDonald
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2002
      Tom

      I understand that this is the function of the mohel, the one doing the
      circumcising. It was also the practice whether common or not I do not know
      for the father to be the mohel. My references for this information are the
      Hoffman text and others like A. N. Wilson's book on Paul, who presumably
      derived their information from the same traditional sources.

      Hyam Maccoby on the Corpus Paulinum list explained the non-drinking aspect
      of this in his last post. He indicated some disagreement with Hoffman (Leeds
      vs Chicago) and he felt that Hoffman was exaggerating the symbolism. (Some
      of the Pauline dialogue is on an unreferenced page on my site.
      http://bmd.gx.ca/the_blood_of_the_covenant.htm)

      If you don't have access to the CP archives, this will give you a flavour of
      the other list's discussion on this subject.
      http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=corpus-paul

      Bob

      mailto::BobMacDonald@...
      + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +