Re: [John_Lit] Flesh and Blood

  • Thomas W Butler
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2002
      Dear Bob,
      I read your article and your short story. Both are quite interesting.
      One thing I do not understand is the reference that you use to support
      the idea of a Jewish father using his own mouth to cauterize the wound
      caused to his son during the rite of circumcision. Is that generally
      recognized as a part of the Hebrew tradition?

      On Sat, 05 Oct 2002 18:44:41 -0700 Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald@...>
      writes:
      > Dear list
      >
      > as I look back over the summer's postings, there was a lot about
      > flesh and
      > blood and the words of John 6:53. I am looking forward now to a real
      > lesson
      > in Christology from Paul Anderson's book, but I have just finished
      > Covenant
      > of Blood, Circumcision and Gender in Rabbinic Judaism by Lawrence
      > Hoffman
      > and I found it a remarkable book on the subject of blood and
      > symbolism in
      > Judaism.
      >
      > As a result, I have written both an essay revealing the astonishing
      > similarity of Jewish and Christian symbolism around wine and blood
      > and a
      > story segment set in the year 20 in Zippori, a town about 4 miles
      > from
      > Nazareth.
      >
      > If anyone is interested, you will find the essay at
      > http://bmd.gx.ca/understanding_the_content_of_wor.htm; the story is
      > linked
      > at the foot of the page - it is really an integral part of the
      > essay.
      >
      > Thanks for all your teaching.
      >
      > Bob
      >
      > mailto::BobMacDonald@...
      > + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +
      >
      > Catch the foxes for us,
      > the little foxes that make havoc of the vineyards,
      > for our vineyards are in flower. (Song 2.15)
      > http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Bob MacDonald
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2002
        Tom

        I understand that this is the function of the mohel, the one doing the
        circumcising. It was also the practice whether common or not I do not know
        for the father to be the mohel. My references for this information are the
        Hoffman text and others like A. N. Wilson's book on Paul, who presumably
        derived their information from the same traditional sources.

        Hyam Maccoby on the Corpus Paulinum list explained the non-drinking aspect
        of this in his last post. He indicated some disagreement with Hoffman (Leeds
        vs Chicago) and he felt that Hoffman was exaggerating the symbolism. (Some
        of the Pauline dialogue is on an unreferenced page on my site.
        http://bmd.gx.ca/the_blood_of_the_covenant.htm)

        If you don't have access to the CP archives, this will give you a flavour of
        the other list's discussion on this subject.
        http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=corpus-paul

        Bob

        mailto::BobMacDonald@...
        + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +