How woman@well know Jesus a Jew?

  • John Stephen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2002
      How did the woman at the well (John 4.9) know that Jesus was a Jew? I developed my answer from a concrete practical approach to the text but afterthought suggests the posibility of costume & accent. Since these "Samaritans" are the Mt. Gerizim Shamerim, both parties would be following Mosaic code for clothing, although differences in interpretation are possible. Does anyone know anything about everyday costume that would help here? Jesus' accent was Galilean rather than Judean, but in any case accent does not equal religion: there is no Jewish accent. The ethnic sign that the text presents as passing between them -- his request for a drink -- should indicate that Jesus was NOT a Jew, or at least was NON-OBSERVANT on the Samaritan issue. Yet our lady is COMPLETELY UNSWAYED BY THAT NEGATIVE EVIDENCE, remaining convinced that he is a Jew & that she should be able to expect him to be observant on the Samaritan issue. Why? Does anyone know of any documented ethnic sign that could account for her attitude? If anyone can quote sources on this problem or can present arguments with textual, factual, or practical bases, I would appreciate it, & I will present my answer for criticism in due time.