Re: [John_Lit] relecture and antilanguage

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 22, 2002
      Peter Phillips wrote:
      > The discussion on antilanguage I was talking about
      > can be found in M.A.K.
      > Halliday, Language as Social Semiotic, published in
      > 1978. Further studies
      > based on Halliday can be found in Malina,
      > Sociolingustics and John (both a
      > seminar paper and BTB paper), and in Petersen's The
      > Gospel of John and the
      > Sociology of Light. The idea is popularised in
      > Rohrbaugh/Malina's social
      > science commentary on John. There is little talk of
      > antilanguage in
      > sociolinguistics outside of the Biblical guild, or
      > nothing substantial that
      > I can find! This may be something to do with
      > Halliday's confusion about
      > antilanguage vs. dialect and register.

      Dear Peter:

      Excellent citations. For more see the following.

      ANTILANGUAGE: SOCIOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE:

      Peter Burke and Roy Porter, eds., Languages and
      jargons :�contributions to a social history of
      language (Cambridge [England] ;�Cambridge, Mass., USA
      :�Polity Press,�1995)

      Thad Ziolkowski, "Antilanguage of slavery : Frederick
      Douglass's 1845 Narrative," in Critical essays on
      Frederick Douglass. William L. Andrews, editor
      (Boston, Mass. :�G.K. Hall,�1991).

      ANTILANGUAGE: NT STUDIES (ST. JOHN & QUMRAN)

      Malina, Bruce J. and Rohrbaugh, Richard L. Social
      Science Commentary on the Gospel of John. Augsburg
      Fortress Publishers: Minneapolis, MN. 1998. see page
      p. 57

      Robert Gundry, Jesus the Word According to John the
      Sectarian; A Paleofundamentalist Manifesto for
      Contemporary Evangelicalism, Especially Its Elites, In
      North America (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2002)

      William M. Schniedewind, "Qumran Hebrew as an
      Antilanguage" Journal of Biblical Literature 118:2
      (1999) 235-252

      Schniedewind, William M. "Linguistic Ideology in
      Qumran Hebrew." In Diggers at the Well: Proceedings of
      a Third International Symposium on the Hebrew of the
      Dead Sea Scrolls and Ben Sira, eds. Takamitsu Muraoka
      and John F. Elwolde, 245-255. STDJ 36. Leiden: Brill,
      2000

      Best regards,
      John

      =====