RE: [John_Lit] Johannine priority

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 17, 2002
      Paul has correctly pointed out that J. Louis Martyn's text is important to have along with Paul's own book. I just thought I would add a note that Martyn's text is coming out in a new edition soon. I know this because D. Moody Smith is writing the introduction. So it will soon be available again in the press.

      Mark A. Matson
      Academic Dean, Milligan College
      http://www.milligan.edu/Administrative/MMatson/personal.htm

      > PS Trinity Press International is closing out its remaining
      > stock of my book, The Christology of the Fourth Gospel; Its
      > Unity and Disunity in the Light of John 6, so a few more are
      > available on Amazon.com, but the remaining stock will be
      > distributed in other ways (if you have questions, contact
      > TPI; they're going rather quickly). The book will remain in
      > print, of course, from J.C.B. Mohr (Paul Siebeck) in
      > Tuebingen. I am also reminded that J. Louis Martyn has
      > remaining copies of his extremely important text, History and
      > Theology in the Fourth Gospel for sale (I believe at around
      > $18 a copy) if ordered directly from him.

      ---
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 18, 2003
        Thanks, Jeffery, for the review.

        The fact that John's differences from the Synoptics were noticed suggests that John's integrity was at least to some degree respected. That sounds like good news to me.

        I imagine many of the classic issues will present themselves in considering the film:

        -- John's comparisons/contrasts to the Synoptics
        -- the relation of Jesus' signs to the I-Am sayings
        -- transitions between 1:18-1:19ff.; 3:22-30 and 3:31-36; chs. 4, 5, 6, and 7; 14:31 and 18:1 (thus the place of chs. 15-17); 11:2 and 12:1-8; 13:36 and 16:5; chs. 20 and 21; etc.
        -- the place of 7:53-8:11 within the surrounding narrative
        -- Jesus' travelling to and from Jerusalem
        -- presentations of the Ioudaioi
        -- portrayals of such theological tensions as John's high/low Christology, the Son's equal/subordinate relation to the Father, present/futuristic eschatology, formal/informal sacramentology, free will/predeterminism, the fore-knowledge/pathos of Jesus, etc.
        -- juxtapositions of Peter and the Beloved Disciple
        -- relations of archaeological details to theological concerns
        -- the "nearness" of the three Passovers
        -- the relation of the early Temple cleansing to the rest of the story's development
        -- dualism and receptions of Jesus
        -- particular Johannine details and presentations
        -- etc.

        The review reminds me of what John Barclay said several years ago; the sorts of questions raised by a non-technical reading of a biblical text seem to be the very issues that the most rigorous of scholars tend to work on--and debate. I guess John is no exception.

        Paul Anderson