Re: [John_Lit] Johannine priority

  • Billy Evans
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 16, 2002
      on 9/16/02 9:42 PM, Bob MacDonald at bobmacdonald@... wrote:

      > Proverbs was clear but I couldn't follow the reference to Is 3:1 - could you
      > explain it further?
      Bob, I hope this helps:
      I'll try to explain it this way: The text says that God is going to remove
      the whole stay of bread and all the supply of water. The following verses
      address only the types of people that the town needs. God seems to be
      providing a complete list of those needful occupations that He will remove.
      These look like the appellativs of spiritual feeders. When that happens and
      youth has to fill in as teachers, man will turn against man etc. Thus, the
      removal of bread and water seem to suggest that what is removed is in fact
      the lifegiving teaching that is essential for peace. Anyway that is my take
      on Isa 3:1f

      however, what is amazing is how the Talmudists speak of eating the Messiah
      "Israel shall eat the years of Messiah." Next then they question this
      several ways and Hillel ends up saying "the Messiah is not likely to come to
      Israel, for they have already eaten him up in the Hezekiah era."

      Have you a reference for this? check Tal. 99.1f
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 18, 2003
        Thanks, Jeffery, for the review.

        The fact that John's differences from the Synoptics were noticed suggests that John's integrity was at least to some degree respected. That sounds like good news to me.

        I imagine many of the classic issues will present themselves in considering the film:

        -- John's comparisons/contrasts to the Synoptics
        -- the relation of Jesus' signs to the I-Am sayings
        -- transitions between 1:18-1:19ff.; 3:22-30 and 3:31-36; chs. 4, 5, 6, and 7; 14:31 and 18:1 (thus the place of chs. 15-17); 11:2 and 12:1-8; 13:36 and 16:5; chs. 20 and 21; etc.
        -- the place of 7:53-8:11 within the surrounding narrative
        -- Jesus' travelling to and from Jerusalem
        -- presentations of the Ioudaioi
        -- portrayals of such theological tensions as John's high/low Christology, the Son's equal/subordinate relation to the Father, present/futuristic eschatology, formal/informal sacramentology, free will/predeterminism, the fore-knowledge/pathos of Jesus, etc.
        -- juxtapositions of Peter and the Beloved Disciple
        -- relations of archaeological details to theological concerns
        -- the "nearness" of the three Passovers
        -- the relation of the early Temple cleansing to the rest of the story's development
        -- dualism and receptions of Jesus
        -- particular Johannine details and presentations
        -- etc.

        The review reminds me of what John Barclay said several years ago; the sorts of questions raised by a non-technical reading of a biblical text seem to be the very issues that the most rigorous of scholars tend to work on--and debate. I guess John is no exception.

        Paul Anderson