Re: [John_Lit] Johannine priority

  • Billy Evans
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 16, 2002
      on 9/15/02 5:48 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges at jefferyhodges@... wrote:

      > Jack, this is interesting:
      >
      >> In 1st century Aramaic "lachma" (bread) and "hamara"
      > (wine) are idioms for teaching. Drinking and eating,
      > in Aramaic, are idioms for learning from a teacher
      > whose teachings are "bread and wine."<
      >
      > Can you give references for this?
      >
      > [Incidently -- and this would require an offlist reply
      > -- what is the Aramaic cognate for rhp in Genesis 1:2,
      > i.e., the Hebrew merachepheth, and what is its range
      > of meanings? I'm writing an article on John Milton's
      > use of "brooding" to translate this Hebrew term, and
      > this has led me to look at the range of meanings in
      > various Semitic languages. If you, or anyone, wants to
      > reply, please keep it offlist since it's not directly
      > Johannine.]
      >
      > Jeffery Hodges
      >
      > =====
      > Hanshin University (Korean Theological University)
      > 447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City
      > Yangsandong 411
      > South Korea

      Jeff
      I do not know how to contact you offline so here is a short note:
      rkp is used only three times in MT: gen 1:;, jer. 23:9; deut 32:11.
      "Hovering" is used to better translate ruah as "wind" instead of "spirit" or
      "breath". Syriac's rageo can mean 'brood over" or or even "incubate" I
      think which connotes the idea of the spirit incubating the world as if it
      were an egg: tthis is found in various Phoenician texts. As you know, I'm
      sure, the LXX chose epephereto (epiphero see LSJ) to clear up the issue.
      This and the Targums could help you here but this is not the issue. It
      seems to me that you just want to know what "brooding" meant during Milton's
      time. The Oxford Dictionary of the English Language is where you want to
      look since Milton would not have access to extant texts that we now have.

      My apologies to the group for this non-Johannine exercise. Can someone tell
      me how to respond to someone offline? thanks
      --
      William "Billy" J Evans Jr-Nashville
      Doctorate Rabbinics, Dead Sea Scrolls, Targums at Hebrew Union College
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 18, 2003
        Thanks, Jeffery, for the review.

        The fact that John's differences from the Synoptics were noticed suggests that John's integrity was at least to some degree respected. That sounds like good news to me.

        I imagine many of the classic issues will present themselves in considering the film:

        -- John's comparisons/contrasts to the Synoptics
        -- the relation of Jesus' signs to the I-Am sayings
        -- transitions between 1:18-1:19ff.; 3:22-30 and 3:31-36; chs. 4, 5, 6, and 7; 14:31 and 18:1 (thus the place of chs. 15-17); 11:2 and 12:1-8; 13:36 and 16:5; chs. 20 and 21; etc.
        -- the place of 7:53-8:11 within the surrounding narrative
        -- Jesus' travelling to and from Jerusalem
        -- presentations of the Ioudaioi
        -- portrayals of such theological tensions as John's high/low Christology, the Son's equal/subordinate relation to the Father, present/futuristic eschatology, formal/informal sacramentology, free will/predeterminism, the fore-knowledge/pathos of Jesus, etc.
        -- juxtapositions of Peter and the Beloved Disciple
        -- relations of archaeological details to theological concerns
        -- the "nearness" of the three Passovers
        -- the relation of the early Temple cleansing to the rest of the story's development
        -- dualism and receptions of Jesus
        -- particular Johannine details and presentations
        -- etc.

        The review reminds me of what John Barclay said several years ago; the sorts of questions raised by a non-technical reading of a biblical text seem to be the very issues that the most rigorous of scholars tend to work on--and debate. I guess John is no exception.

        Paul Anderson