[John_Lit] the adelphoi

  • Mary Coloe
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 1999
      There are a few places where mention is made of the adelphoi - a group who
      appear to be different to the disciples. 2:12; 7:3,5,10; then 20:17. What
      are we dealing with here - a remembered historical tradition of Jesus' kin
      who are at odds with him and those called disciples? Any discussion on how
      they function as a character group in the narrative - if it is more than
      just a touch of historical tradition. I'm not wondering about whether they
      were or were not blood brothers of Jesus, Mary's children etc. Let's take
      it the word means kin to avoid these issues - my question is more about
      what they are doing in the text, than who they actually were.

      Thanks Felix for the Bibliography - an excellent tool. If we have articles
      already published in print form and would be happy to make them available
      on the web, how do we go about it?
      Dr. Mary Coloe pbvm
      School of Theology
      Australian Catholic University
      PO. Box 213, Oakleigh. VIC 3166
      ph (61 + 3) 9563 3697 Fax. (61 + 3) 9563 3653.

      *** Please note as of March 1 2000 my address will change to
      Australian Catholic University
      St Patrick's Campus
      Locked bag 4115
      Fitzroy Business Centre
      377 Gore Street
      Fitzroy Vic 3065

      Similarly my email address will change to M.Coloe@...

      I do not yet know my new phone numbers but the switchboard will be 9953 3000