Johannine priority

  • Bob MacDonald
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2002
      Dear listers

      how quiet you are - back to work I suspect.

      It was an early theory that John may have been the first Gospel. (I note
      the devotional Readings in St John's Gospel by William Temple in which he
      holds this position). We live in a different time of course, yet it seems to
      me I noted a presentation in a recent post that spoke of the priority of
      John.

      On another list (Corpus Paulinum), there has been discussion of the origin
      of the Eucharist, and as usual, out of my depth, I asked some unanswerable
      questions. John of course doesn't have the institution of the Eucharist, but
      it does have the most intimate understanding of unity of the body (6:53,
      17:20-26) of any Gospel.

      Can someone help me historically or liturgically - What could Jesus have
      said at the institution of the Eucharist? Could the dialogue in John 6 on
      drinking blood have historical reflections? Does this necessarily have to
      have been derived from Paul and the influence of mystery religions? That
      theory sticks in the craw. My meanderings are summarized off list on my
      homepage under articles. (http://bmd.gx.ca/the_blood_of_the_covenant.htm)

      The gist of the question is whether Jesus could have talked as a Jew about
      drinking blood. My reflection leads me to a yes answer. The life of the body
      is in the blood - without his blood we have no life (John 6:53). I guess I
      am looking for ways to refine my questions.

      Thanks in advance if this is approachable from another angle. I would be
      interested in work done on this from a Jewish point of view with some
      insight into the historical and psychological possibilities. Devotionally, I
      don't have a problem - but language can get very vague when metaphor takes
      over without discipline.

      Bob

      mailto::BobMacDonald@...
      + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +