Announcement--Toronto Meeting

  • Thatcher, Tom
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2002
      Dear Colleagues,

      I hope this letter finds you well! As you may be aware, the program for
      this year's SBL meeting in Toronto is now available on-line. As you make
      your plans and preparations for the meeting, may I draw your attention to
      the inaugural session of the "John, Jesus, and History Consultation" on
      Saturday afternoon from 4pm--6:30pm. Many of you have expressed interest in
      this group in the past, and we very much hope that you will be able to
      attend. We expect a large gathering of scholars who are interested in the
      Johannine Literature, Historical Jesus studies, and general methodological
      issues surrounding the composition-history of ancient gospels.

      Because this is our inaugural meeting, our session will focus on an overview
      of issues pertaining to scholarship on the composition-history of FG. Two
      papers, one by Bob Kysar and another by Paula Fredricksen, will be
      summarized and discussed. Kysar's paper will address the ways in which John
      has come to be seen as the "spiritual gospel," and the implications this has
      had on Johannine scholarship. Fredriksen, as a Historical Jesus scholar,
      will then look at the impact these assumptions have carried in contemporary
      Jesus research. Respondents will include Marianne Thompson, Harry Attridge,
      Jack Verheyden, and Mark Allan Powell--a formidable line-up.

      Program: "How John Became the 'Spiritual Gospel'"
      Tom Thatcher--Welcome and Introduction
      Bob Kysar--"The De-Historicizing of John"
      Respondent: Marianne Meye Thompson
      Respondent: Harold Attridge
      Discussion of Kysar's Paper
      Paula Fredriksen--"The De-Johannification of Jesus"
      Respondent: Jack Verheyden
      Respondent: Mark Allan Powell
      Discussion of Fredriksen's Paper
      Open Discussion
      Paul Anderson--Meeting Summary

      As you can see, we are reserving almost 90 minutes of our program for
      discussion from the floor. We very much solicit your insights and opinions
      on the directions this consultation should go. In many ways, we hope at
      this meeting to begin to stake out the future direction of research into the
      background and composition-history of the Fourth Gospel. Your input will be
      invaluable.

      Many of you are already on our mailing list, and if this is the case you
      will receive copies of the two main papers sometime in early October. If
      you are not already on our mailing list and wish to receive copies of the
      papers and future announcements, please reply to this message so that we may
      add you to our list. Even if you do not have time to read the papers,
      please feel free to attend--we believe that you will still appreciate the
      group's discussion of the relevant issues. Also, please pass this note
      along to any friends and colleagues whom you feel might be interested in
      this session, or ask them to get in touch with me.

      Please feel free to contact me at any point with questions or comments.
      Take care.

      Respectfully,
      --tom

      Tom Thatcher
      Cincinnati Bible Seminary
      2700 Glenway Ave.
      Cincinnati, Oh 45204
      (513) 244-8172
      tom.thatcher@... <mailto:tom.thatcher@...>
      "the truth will set you free"
    • Bob MacDonald
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2002
        Dear listers

        how quiet you are - back to work I suspect.

        It was an early theory that John may have been the first Gospel. (I note
        the devotional Readings in St John's Gospel by William Temple in which he
        holds this position). We live in a different time of course, yet it seems to
        me I noted a presentation in a recent post that spoke of the priority of
        John.

        On another list (Corpus Paulinum), there has been discussion of the origin
        of the Eucharist, and as usual, out of my depth, I asked some unanswerable
        questions. John of course doesn't have the institution of the Eucharist, but
        it does have the most intimate understanding of unity of the body (6:53,
        17:20-26) of any Gospel.

        Can someone help me historically or liturgically - What could Jesus have
        said at the institution of the Eucharist? Could the dialogue in John 6 on
        drinking blood have historical reflections? Does this necessarily have to
        have been derived from Paul and the influence of mystery religions? That
        theory sticks in the craw. My meanderings are summarized off list on my
        homepage under articles. (http://bmd.gx.ca/the_blood_of_the_covenant.htm)

        The gist of the question is whether Jesus could have talked as a Jew about
        drinking blood. My reflection leads me to a yes answer. The life of the body
        is in the blood - without his blood we have no life (John 6:53). I guess I
        am looking for ways to refine my questions.

        Thanks in advance if this is approachable from another angle. I would be
        interested in work done on this from a Jewish point of view with some
        insight into the historical and psychological possibilities. Devotionally, I
        don't have a problem - but language can get very vague when metaphor takes
        over without discipline.

        Bob

        mailto::BobMacDonald@...
        + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +