RE: [John_Lit] John and the Synoptics

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 4, 2002
      Dear Sean and others,

      You're welcome, Sean. I indeed would like to review it (and will discuss that with you privately), but for the benefit of others on this list, here's the blurb I prepared for Mellen Press (needless to say, I'm very impressed):

      > "Covering the extensive secondary literature on the Gospel of John is a

      > major endeavor, attempted by a few and accomplished by still fewer. Sean

      > Kealy's exhaustive treatment of nineteen centuries of Johannine

      > interpretation, however, does just that! Kealy not only analyzes

      > judiciously the best of modern Johannine interpretation, but he also

      > treats the reader to thoughtful analyses of the many ways the Fourth

      > Gospel has been interpreted and regarded from the second century on.

      > There is no treatment of Johannine scholarship like it--in any

      > language--and no serious Johannine library is complete without it.

      > Paul N. Anderson

      ***

      A second matter that may be of interest to members of our listserve is the lineup for the Johannine Literature Sections of the Toronto SBL sessions to be held from November 23-26. The registration information is available on the SBL website (http://www.sbl-site.org/Congresses/index.html), so if you'd like to attend, that site will provide the needed information.

      Monday, November 25th

      ===================================
      S25-62
      Johannine Literature Section
      1:00 PM - 3:30 PM

      Theme: Theme I (75 min): Review of Adele Reinhartz's "Befriending the Beloved Disciple: A Jewish Reading of the Gospel of John." New York: Continuum, 2001; Theme II (75 min) Current Issues in the Gospel of John

      Felix Just, Loyola Marymount University, Presiding
      Francisco Lozada, Univ Of The Incarnate Word, Panelist
      Francis J Moloney, Catholic University Of America, Panelist
      Sarah J Tanzer, Mccormick Theological Seminary, Panelist
      Adele Reinhartz, Wilfred Laurier University
      Robert Kysar, Emory University
      Expulsion from the Synagogue: A Tale of a Theory <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=948&Last_Name=Kysar&First_Name=Robert')>
      Break/recess ,
      D Moody Smith, Duke University Divinity School, Respondent
      Gail R O'day, Emory Univ Candler Sch Of Theo, Respondent

      Tuesday, November 26th

      ===================================
      S26-10
      Johannine Literature Section
      9:00 AM - 11:30 AM

      Colleen Conway, Seton Hall University, Presiding
      Stan Harstine, Baylor University
      Mysticism in the Fourth Gospel: An Evaluation of Research and its Implications <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=589&Last_Name=Harstine&First_Name=Stan')> (25 min)
      Turid Karlsen Seim, University Of Oslo
      The Child-Bearing God <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=1640&Last_Name=Seim&First_Name=Turid Karlsen')>
      Henry Sturcke, Universitat Zurich
      Anonymity in the Fourth Gospel: Arisen by any other name <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=1584&Last_Name=Sturcke&First_Name=Henry')> (25 min)
      Jeffrey S Siker, Loyola Marymount University
      "Johannine Redefinitions of Sin" <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=268&Last_Name=Siker&First_Name=Jeffrey S')> (25 min)
      Mary L Coloe, Australian Catholic Univ
      Anointing the New Temple (John 12:1-8) <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=32&Last_Name=Coloe&First_Name=Mary L')> (25 min)

      ***

      All the best!

      Paul Anderson
      Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
      George Fox University
      Newberg, OR 97132

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 15, 2003
        I hope you are well, Sean. I'd be happy to write a review for the Princeton Theological Bulletin. If you could ask Mellen to send me a review copy, I'd appreciate it.

        Take care,

        PA

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 15, 2003
          woops, apoligies to the group.

          PA
        • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 16, 2003
            Dear Paul Delighted to hear from you and sincere thanks once again for so
            many kindnesses. I am e-mailing Mellen toute suite if one can use a french
            expression. Happy Easter Paul, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

          • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
              Dear Paul, I picked up a copy of your edition of Cadbury at the recent CBQ
              meeting. Well Done! I notice that Joe Fitzmyer in Vol 1 p.52 of his
              commentary say Cadbury gegan in 1912. Am I correct that he got the wrong
              date? Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                Thanks, Sean. Cadbury's first published essay that I am aware of was in the Westonian, 1911. I'm not aware of any published in 1912, although he published several in 1914. I'm in the process of publishing his NT works.

                Take care,

                Paul

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                  Thanks Paul, I suspect that Fitzmyer's 1912 is en error. Best wishes with
                  your publications. Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp.,

                • John Lupia
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                    =====
                    John N. Lupia, III
                    31 Norwich Drive
                    Toms River, New Jersey 08757 USA
                    Phone: (732) 341-8689
                    God Bless America

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 13, 2003
                      Dear Paul, I tried to send a message to John N. Lupia to thank him for his
                      excellent correction of thr investigations of Cadbury and the Bibliography
                      which he supplied, but it was returned to me. Could you kindly thank him
                      for me. Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 13, 2003
                        Actually, you three are sending your messages to the
                        Johannine Literature Listserve. I think that John
                        Lupia realizes this, but perhaps you and Paul haven't
                        noticed yet.

                        Jeffery Hodges

                        --- "Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp" <kealy@...> wrote:

                        > Dear Paul, I tried to send a message to John N.
                        > Lupia to thank him for his
                        > excellent correction of thr investigations of
                        > Cadbury and the Bibliography
                        > which he supplied, but it was returned to me. Could
                        > you kindly thank him
                        > for me. Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                        447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City

                        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com