Re: [John_Lit] John and the Synoptics

  • Thomas W Butler
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 3, 2002
      On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:10:58 -0400 "Matson, Mark (Academic)"
      <MAMatson@...> writes:

      > BTW, a non-scholarly little piece of mine is the new JOHN bible
      > study in the Interpretation Bible Study series (WJK). Am currently
      > working on a book on the various approaches to narrative time in the
      > 4 gospels..... Any thoughts on this I would love to hear.

      Mark:
      I hope you will consider the approach that I have taken -
      studying the Fourth Gospel through its use of Mosaic oracles.
      I considered the use of terms relating to time (hour, day, three
      days, six days, seven days, season, year, in the beginning) as
      language used exactly as it is used in the Mosaic texts. These
      terms function as "signs" (pointing to deeper meaning as defined
      by their Mosaic contexts) in the Fourth Gospel.

      Yours in Christ's service,
      Tom Butler, author of
      Let Her Keep It: Jesus' Ordination of Mary of Bethany -
      A New Approach to the Study of the Gospel of John
      Through Its Use of Mosaic Oracles
    • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 4, 2002
        Dear Paul, Thanks for your information on the John Seminar which I look
        forward to attending. I just received the prepublication for my history of
        John,s Gospel. If you have a journal they will send you a free copy of the
        two volumes for review. Let me know if you know any. Again thanks for your
        kindness. Sincerely Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 4, 2002
          Dear Sean and others,

          You're welcome, Sean. I indeed would like to review it (and will discuss that with you privately), but for the benefit of others on this list, here's the blurb I prepared for Mellen Press (needless to say, I'm very impressed):

          > "Covering the extensive secondary literature on the Gospel of John is a

          > major endeavor, attempted by a few and accomplished by still fewer. Sean

          > Kealy's exhaustive treatment of nineteen centuries of Johannine

          > interpretation, however, does just that! Kealy not only analyzes

          > judiciously the best of modern Johannine interpretation, but he also

          > treats the reader to thoughtful analyses of the many ways the Fourth

          > Gospel has been interpreted and regarded from the second century on.

          > There is no treatment of Johannine scholarship like it--in any

          > language--and no serious Johannine library is complete without it.

          > Paul N. Anderson

          ***

          A second matter that may be of interest to members of our listserve is the lineup for the Johannine Literature Sections of the Toronto SBL sessions to be held from November 23-26. The registration information is available on the SBL website (http://www.sbl-site.org/Congresses/index.html), so if you'd like to attend, that site will provide the needed information.

          Monday, November 25th

          ===================================
          S25-62
          Johannine Literature Section
          1:00 PM - 3:30 PM

          Theme: Theme I (75 min): Review of Adele Reinhartz's "Befriending the Beloved Disciple: A Jewish Reading of the Gospel of John." New York: Continuum, 2001; Theme II (75 min) Current Issues in the Gospel of John

          Felix Just, Loyola Marymount University, Presiding
          Francisco Lozada, Univ Of The Incarnate Word, Panelist
          Francis J Moloney, Catholic University Of America, Panelist
          Sarah J Tanzer, Mccormick Theological Seminary, Panelist
          Adele Reinhartz, Wilfred Laurier University
          Robert Kysar, Emory University
          Expulsion from the Synagogue: A Tale of a Theory <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=948&Last_Name=Kysar&First_Name=Robert')>
          Break/recess ,
          D Moody Smith, Duke University Divinity School, Respondent
          Gail R O'day, Emory Univ Candler Sch Of Theo, Respondent

          Tuesday, November 26th

          ===================================
          S26-10
          Johannine Literature Section
          9:00 AM - 11:30 AM

          Colleen Conway, Seton Hall University, Presiding
          Stan Harstine, Baylor University
          Mysticism in the Fourth Gospel: An Evaluation of Research and its Implications <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=589&Last_Name=Harstine&First_Name=Stan')> (25 min)
          Turid Karlsen Seim, University Of Oslo
          The Child-Bearing God <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=1640&Last_Name=Seim&First_Name=Turid Karlsen')>
          Henry Sturcke, Universitat Zurich
          Anonymity in the Fourth Gospel: Arisen by any other name <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=1584&Last_Name=Sturcke&First_Name=Henry')> (25 min)
          Jeffrey S Siker, Loyola Marymount University
          "Johannine Redefinitions of Sin" <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=268&Last_Name=Siker&First_Name=Jeffrey S')> (25 min)
          Mary L Coloe, Australian Catholic Univ
          Anointing the New Temple (John 12:1-8) <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=32&Last_Name=Coloe&First_Name=Mary L')> (25 min)

          ***

          All the best!

          Paul Anderson
          Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
          George Fox University
          Newberg, OR 97132

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 15 2:04 PM
            I hope you are well, Sean. I'd be happy to write a review for the Princeton Theological Bulletin. If you could ask Mellen to send me a review copy, I'd appreciate it.

            Take care,

            PA

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 15 2:10 PM
              woops, apoligies to the group.

              PA
            • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 16 3:45 AM
                Dear Paul Delighted to hear from you and sincere thanks once again for so
                many kindnesses. I am e-mailing Mellen toute suite if one can use a french
                expression. Happy Easter Paul, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

              • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                  Dear Paul, I picked up a copy of your edition of Cadbury at the recent CBQ
                  meeting. Well Done! I notice that Joe Fitzmyer in Vol 1 p.52 of his
                  commentary say Cadbury gegan in 1912. Am I correct that he got the wrong
                  date? Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                    Thanks, Sean. Cadbury's first published essay that I am aware of was in the Westonian, 1911. I'm not aware of any published in 1912, although he published several in 1914. I'm in the process of publishing his NT works.

                    Take care,

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                      Thanks Paul, I suspect that Fitzmyer's 1912 is en error. Best wishes with
                      your publications. Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp.,

                    • John Lupia
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                        John N. Lupia, III
                        31 Norwich Drive
                        Toms River, New Jersey 08757 USA
                        Phone: (732) 341-8689
                        God Bless America

                        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                      • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 13, 2003
                          Dear Paul, I tried to send a message to John N. Lupia to thank him for his
                          excellent correction of thr investigations of Cadbury and the Bibliography
                          which he supplied, but it was returned to me. Could you kindly thank him
                          for me. Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 13, 2003
                            Actually, you three are sending your messages to the
                            Johannine Literature Listserve. I think that John
                            Lupia realizes this, but perhaps you and Paul haven't
                            noticed yet.

                            Jeffery Hodges

                            --- "Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp" <kealy@...> wrote:

                            > Dear Paul, I tried to send a message to John N.
                            > Lupia to thank him for his
                            > excellent correction of thr investigations of
                            > Cadbury and the Bibliography
                            > which he supplied, but it was returned to me. Could
                            > you kindly thank him
                            > for me. Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                            447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City

                            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com