RE: [John_Lit] John and the Synoptics

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 3, 2002
      I also extend my apologies to the group; I thought I was replying to Mark Matson alone.

      Paul Anderson

      PS Nonetheless, here is the line-up for the new John, Jesus and History Consultation which will run for the next three years at the national SBL meetings. Some excellent scholars will be presenting, and I believe it could play a formative role in ways we think about the Johannine tradition. All are welcome to attend!

      Here's the information from the program for the Toronto Saturday session:

      John, Jesus and History Consultation
      4:00 PM - 6:30 PM

      Theme: How John Became the 'Spiritual Gospel'

      Tom Thatcher, Cincinnati Bible Seminary, Presiding (10 min)
      Robert Kysar, Emory University
      The De-Historicizing of John <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=53&Last_Name=Kysar&First_Name=Robert')> (10 min)
      Marianne Meye Thompson, Fuller Theological Seminary, Respondent (10 min)
      Harold W Attridge, Yale, Respondent (10 min)
      Jaime Clark-soles, Perkins School Of Theology
      Discussion of Robert Kysar's 'The De-Historicizing of John' <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=56&Last_Name=Clark-soles&First_Name=Jaime')> (20 min)
      Paula Fredriksen, Boston University
      The De-Johannification of Jesus <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=57&Last_Name=Fredriksen&First_Name=Paula')> (10 min)
      Mark Allan Powell, Trinity Lutheran Seminary (10 min)
      Mary L Coloe, Australian Catholic Univ
      Discussion of Paula Fredriksen's 'The De-Johannification of Jesus' <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=90&Last_Name=Coloe&First_Name=Mary L')> (20 min)
      Felix Just, Loyola Marymount University
      Open Discussion <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=91&Last_Name=Just&First_Name=Felix')> (25 min)
      Paul N Anderson, George Fox College
      Getting a Sense of the Meeting <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=730&Last_Name=Anderson&First_Name=Paul N')>

    • Thomas W Butler
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 3, 2002
        On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:10:58 -0400 "Matson, Mark (Academic)"
        <MAMatson@...> writes:

        > BTW, a non-scholarly little piece of mine is the new JOHN bible
        > study in the Interpretation Bible Study series (WJK). Am currently
        > working on a book on the various approaches to narrative time in the
        > 4 gospels..... Any thoughts on this I would love to hear.

        Mark:
        I hope you will consider the approach that I have taken -
        studying the Fourth Gospel through its use of Mosaic oracles.
        I considered the use of terms relating to time (hour, day, three
        days, six days, seven days, season, year, in the beginning) as
        language used exactly as it is used in the Mosaic texts. These
        terms function as "signs" (pointing to deeper meaning as defined
        by their Mosaic contexts) in the Fourth Gospel.

        Yours in Christ's service,
        Tom Butler, author of
        Let Her Keep It: Jesus' Ordination of Mary of Bethany -
        A New Approach to the Study of the Gospel of John
        Through Its Use of Mosaic Oracles
      • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 4, 2002
          Dear Paul, Thanks for your information on the John Seminar which I look
          forward to attending. I just received the prepublication for my history of
          John,s Gospel. If you have a journal they will send you a free copy of the
          two volumes for review. Let me know if you know any. Again thanks for your
          kindness. Sincerely Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 4, 2002
            Dear Sean and others,

            You're welcome, Sean. I indeed would like to review it (and will discuss that with you privately), but for the benefit of others on this list, here's the blurb I prepared for Mellen Press (needless to say, I'm very impressed):

            > "Covering the extensive secondary literature on the Gospel of John is a

            > major endeavor, attempted by a few and accomplished by still fewer. Sean

            > Kealy's exhaustive treatment of nineteen centuries of Johannine

            > interpretation, however, does just that! Kealy not only analyzes

            > judiciously the best of modern Johannine interpretation, but he also

            > treats the reader to thoughtful analyses of the many ways the Fourth

            > Gospel has been interpreted and regarded from the second century on.

            > There is no treatment of Johannine scholarship like it--in any

            > language--and no serious Johannine library is complete without it.

            > Paul N. Anderson

            ***

            A second matter that may be of interest to members of our listserve is the lineup for the Johannine Literature Sections of the Toronto SBL sessions to be held from November 23-26. The registration information is available on the SBL website (http://www.sbl-site.org/Congresses/index.html), so if you'd like to attend, that site will provide the needed information.

            Monday, November 25th

            ===================================
            S25-62
            Johannine Literature Section
            1:00 PM - 3:30 PM

            Theme: Theme I (75 min): Review of Adele Reinhartz's "Befriending the Beloved Disciple: A Jewish Reading of the Gospel of John." New York: Continuum, 2001; Theme II (75 min) Current Issues in the Gospel of John

            Felix Just, Loyola Marymount University, Presiding
            Francisco Lozada, Univ Of The Incarnate Word, Panelist
            Francis J Moloney, Catholic University Of America, Panelist
            Sarah J Tanzer, Mccormick Theological Seminary, Panelist
            Adele Reinhartz, Wilfred Laurier University
            Robert Kysar, Emory University
            Expulsion from the Synagogue: A Tale of a Theory <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=948&Last_Name=Kysar&First_Name=Robert')>
            Break/recess ,
            D Moody Smith, Duke University Divinity School, Respondent
            Gail R O'day, Emory Univ Candler Sch Of Theo, Respondent

            Tuesday, November 26th

            ===================================
            S26-10
            Johannine Literature Section
            9:00 AM - 11:30 AM

            Colleen Conway, Seton Hall University, Presiding
            Stan Harstine, Baylor University
            Mysticism in the Fourth Gospel: An Evaluation of Research and its Implications <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=589&Last_Name=Harstine&First_Name=Stan')> (25 min)
            Turid Karlsen Seim, University Of Oslo
            The Child-Bearing God <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=1640&Last_Name=Seim&First_Name=Turid Karlsen')>
            Henry Sturcke, Universitat Zurich
            Anonymity in the Fourth Gospel: Arisen by any other name <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=1584&Last_Name=Sturcke&First_Name=Henry')> (25 min)
            Jeffrey S Siker, Loyola Marymount University
            "Johannine Redefinitions of Sin" <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=268&Last_Name=Siker&First_Name=Jeffrey S')> (25 min)
            Mary L Coloe, Australian Catholic Univ
            Anointing the New Temple (John 12:1-8) <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=32&Last_Name=Coloe&First_Name=Mary L')> (25 min)

            ***

            All the best!

            Paul Anderson
            Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
            George Fox University
            Newberg, OR 97132

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 15, 2003
              I hope you are well, Sean. I'd be happy to write a review for the Princeton Theological Bulletin. If you could ask Mellen to send me a review copy, I'd appreciate it.

              Take care,

              PA

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 15, 2003
                woops, apoligies to the group.

                PA
              • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 16, 2003
                  Dear Paul Delighted to hear from you and sincere thanks once again for so
                  many kindnesses. I am e-mailing Mellen toute suite if one can use a french
                  expression. Happy Easter Paul, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                    Dear Paul, I picked up a copy of your edition of Cadbury at the recent CBQ
                    meeting. Well Done! I notice that Joe Fitzmyer in Vol 1 p.52 of his
                    commentary say Cadbury gegan in 1912. Am I correct that he got the wrong
                    date? Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                      Thanks, Sean. Cadbury's first published essay that I am aware of was in the Westonian, 1911. I'm not aware of any published in 1912, although he published several in 1914. I'm in the process of publishing his NT works.

                      Take care,

                      Paul

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                        Thanks Paul, I suspect that Fitzmyer's 1912 is en error. Best wishes with
                        your publications. Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp.,

                      • John Lupia
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                          John N. Lupia, III
                          31 Norwich Drive
                          Toms River, New Jersey 08757 USA
                          Phone: (732) 341-8689
                          God Bless America

                          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                        • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 13, 2003
                            Dear Paul, I tried to send a message to John N. Lupia to thank him for his
                            excellent correction of thr investigations of Cadbury and the Bibliography
                            which he supplied, but it was returned to me. Could you kindly thank him
                            for me. Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 13, 2003
                              Actually, you three are sending your messages to the
                              Johannine Literature Listserve. I think that John
                              Lupia realizes this, but perhaps you and Paul haven't
                              noticed yet.

                              Jeffery Hodges

                              --- "Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp" <kealy@...> wrote:

                              > Dear Paul, I tried to send a message to John N.
                              > Lupia to thank him for his
                              > excellent correction of thr investigations of
                              > Cadbury and the Bibliography
                              > which he supplied, but it was returned to me. Could
                              > you kindly thank him
                              > for me. Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                              447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City

                              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com