RE: [John_Lit] John and the Synoptics

  • Staley, Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 3, 2002
      I am particularly intrigued by the title of your introduction:

      "Descending from and Ascending into Heaven:
      A Postcolonial Analysis of Travel, Space, and Power in John"

      Is it possible to read your introduction on-line?

      SInce Musa Dube really wrote the intro (I functioned primarily as editor of
      the chapter), you should contact her, I think:

      DUBEMW@...

      I'm afraid my budget will not absorb the $90 cost of your book

      YIKES! Paperback is estimated at $28.50 or so (US funds).

      Jeff Staley
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 3, 2002
        I also extend my apologies to the group; I thought I was replying to Mark Matson alone.

        Paul Anderson

        PS Nonetheless, here is the line-up for the new John, Jesus and History Consultation which will run for the next three years at the national SBL meetings. Some excellent scholars will be presenting, and I believe it could play a formative role in ways we think about the Johannine tradition. All are welcome to attend!

        Here's the information from the program for the Toronto Saturday session:

        John, Jesus and History Consultation
        4:00 PM - 6:30 PM

        Theme: How John Became the 'Spiritual Gospel'

        Tom Thatcher, Cincinnati Bible Seminary, Presiding (10 min)
        Robert Kysar, Emory University
        The De-Historicizing of John <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=53&Last_Name=Kysar&First_Name=Robert')> (10 min)
        Marianne Meye Thompson, Fuller Theological Seminary, Respondent (10 min)
        Harold W Attridge, Yale, Respondent (10 min)
        Jaime Clark-soles, Perkins School Of Theology
        Discussion of Robert Kysar's 'The De-Historicizing of John' <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=56&Last_Name=Clark-soles&First_Name=Jaime')> (20 min)
        Paula Fredriksen, Boston University
        The De-Johannification of Jesus <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=57&Last_Name=Fredriksen&First_Name=Paula')> (10 min)
        Mark Allan Powell, Trinity Lutheran Seminary (10 min)
        Mary L Coloe, Australian Catholic Univ
        Discussion of Paula Fredriksen's 'The De-Johannification of Jesus' <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=90&Last_Name=Coloe&First_Name=Mary L')> (20 min)
        Felix Just, Loyola Marymount University
        Open Discussion <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=91&Last_Name=Just&First_Name=Felix')> (25 min)
        Paul N Anderson, George Fox College
        Getting a Sense of the Meeting <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=730&Last_Name=Anderson&First_Name=Paul N')>

      • Thomas W Butler
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 3, 2002
          On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:10:58 -0400 "Matson, Mark (Academic)"
          <MAMatson@...> writes:

          > BTW, a non-scholarly little piece of mine is the new JOHN bible
          > study in the Interpretation Bible Study series (WJK). Am currently
          > working on a book on the various approaches to narrative time in the
          > 4 gospels..... Any thoughts on this I would love to hear.

          Mark:
          I hope you will consider the approach that I have taken -
          studying the Fourth Gospel through its use of Mosaic oracles.
          I considered the use of terms relating to time (hour, day, three
          days, six days, seven days, season, year, in the beginning) as
          language used exactly as it is used in the Mosaic texts. These
          terms function as "signs" (pointing to deeper meaning as defined
          by their Mosaic contexts) in the Fourth Gospel.

          Yours in Christ's service,
          Tom Butler, author of
          Let Her Keep It: Jesus' Ordination of Mary of Bethany -
          A New Approach to the Study of the Gospel of John
          Through Its Use of Mosaic Oracles
        • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 4, 2002
            Dear Paul, Thanks for your information on the John Seminar which I look
            forward to attending. I just received the prepublication for my history of
            John,s Gospel. If you have a journal they will send you a free copy of the
            two volumes for review. Let me know if you know any. Again thanks for your
            kindness. Sincerely Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 4, 2002
              Dear Sean and others,

              You're welcome, Sean. I indeed would like to review it (and will discuss that with you privately), but for the benefit of others on this list, here's the blurb I prepared for Mellen Press (needless to say, I'm very impressed):

              > "Covering the extensive secondary literature on the Gospel of John is a

              > major endeavor, attempted by a few and accomplished by still fewer. Sean

              > Kealy's exhaustive treatment of nineteen centuries of Johannine

              > interpretation, however, does just that! Kealy not only analyzes

              > judiciously the best of modern Johannine interpretation, but he also

              > treats the reader to thoughtful analyses of the many ways the Fourth

              > Gospel has been interpreted and regarded from the second century on.

              > There is no treatment of Johannine scholarship like it--in any

              > language--and no serious Johannine library is complete without it.

              > Paul N. Anderson

              ***

              A second matter that may be of interest to members of our listserve is the lineup for the Johannine Literature Sections of the Toronto SBL sessions to be held from November 23-26. The registration information is available on the SBL website (http://www.sbl-site.org/Congresses/index.html), so if you'd like to attend, that site will provide the needed information.

              Monday, November 25th

              ===================================
              S25-62
              Johannine Literature Section
              1:00 PM - 3:30 PM

              Theme: Theme I (75 min): Review of Adele Reinhartz's "Befriending the Beloved Disciple: A Jewish Reading of the Gospel of John." New York: Continuum, 2001; Theme II (75 min) Current Issues in the Gospel of John

              Felix Just, Loyola Marymount University, Presiding
              Francisco Lozada, Univ Of The Incarnate Word, Panelist
              Francis J Moloney, Catholic University Of America, Panelist
              Sarah J Tanzer, Mccormick Theological Seminary, Panelist
              Adele Reinhartz, Wilfred Laurier University
              Robert Kysar, Emory University
              Expulsion from the Synagogue: A Tale of a Theory <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=948&Last_Name=Kysar&First_Name=Robert')>
              Break/recess ,
              D Moody Smith, Duke University Divinity School, Respondent
              Gail R O'day, Emory Univ Candler Sch Of Theo, Respondent

              Tuesday, November 26th

              ===================================
              S26-10
              Johannine Literature Section
              9:00 AM - 11:30 AM

              Colleen Conway, Seton Hall University, Presiding
              Stan Harstine, Baylor University
              Mysticism in the Fourth Gospel: An Evaluation of Research and its Implications <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=589&Last_Name=Harstine&First_Name=Stan')> (25 min)
              Turid Karlsen Seim, University Of Oslo
              The Child-Bearing God <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=1640&Last_Name=Seim&First_Name=Turid Karlsen')>
              Henry Sturcke, Universitat Zurich
              Anonymity in the Fourth Gospel: Arisen by any other name <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=1584&Last_Name=Sturcke&First_Name=Henry')> (25 min)
              Jeffrey S Siker, Loyola Marymount University
              "Johannine Redefinitions of Sin" <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=268&Last_Name=Siker&First_Name=Jeffrey S')> (25 min)
              Mary L Coloe, Australian Catholic Univ
              Anointing the New Temple (John 12:1-8) <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=32&Last_Name=Coloe&First_Name=Mary L')> (25 min)

              ***

              All the best!

              Paul Anderson
              Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
              George Fox University
              Newberg, OR 97132

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 15, 2003
                I hope you are well, Sean. I'd be happy to write a review for the Princeton Theological Bulletin. If you could ask Mellen to send me a review copy, I'd appreciate it.

                Take care,

                PA

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 15, 2003
                  woops, apoligies to the group.

                  PA
                • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 16, 2003
                    Dear Paul Delighted to hear from you and sincere thanks once again for so
                    many kindnesses. I am e-mailing Mellen toute suite if one can use a french
                    expression. Happy Easter Paul, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                  • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                      Dear Paul, I picked up a copy of your edition of Cadbury at the recent CBQ
                      meeting. Well Done! I notice that Joe Fitzmyer in Vol 1 p.52 of his
                      commentary say Cadbury gegan in 1912. Am I correct that he got the wrong
                      date? Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                        Thanks, Sean. Cadbury's first published essay that I am aware of was in the Westonian, 1911. I'm not aware of any published in 1912, although he published several in 1914. I'm in the process of publishing his NT works.

                        Take care,

                        Paul

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                          Thanks Paul, I suspect that Fitzmyer's 1912 is en error. Best wishes with
                          your publications. Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp.,

                        • John Lupia
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                            John N. Lupia, III
                            31 Norwich Drive
                            Toms River, New Jersey 08757 USA
                            Phone: (732) 341-8689
                            God Bless America

                            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                          • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 13, 2003
                              Dear Paul, I tried to send a message to John N. Lupia to thank him for his
                              excellent correction of thr investigations of Cadbury and the Bibliography
                              which he supplied, but it was returned to me. Could you kindly thank him
                              for me. Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 13, 2003
                                Actually, you three are sending your messages to the
                                Johannine Literature Listserve. I think that John
                                Lupia realizes this, but perhaps you and Paul haven't
                                noticed yet.

                                Jeffery Hodges

                                --- "Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp" <kealy@...> wrote:

                                > Dear Paul, I tried to send a message to John N.
                                > Lupia to thank him for his
                                > excellent correction of thr investigations of
                                > Cadbury and the Bibliography
                                > which he supplied, but it was returned to me. Could
                                > you kindly thank him
                                > for me. Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                                447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City

                                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com