RE: [John_Lit] John 3:34 TO PNEUMA

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2002
      Wieland:

      I would think that the easier argument would be for TO PNEUMA to be the object. If PNEUMA were the subject, then this would be an intransitive verb, no? That is relatively rare for the active form of DIDWMI. A quick look through Liddell Scott, and my concordance, found few instances of the intransitive use. And John seems to like the transitive use. Though John 14:27 might be an example of an intransitive use, in which the issue is manner of giving (similar to your "EX METROU" in 3:34).

      I wonder also, is the PNEUMA sufficiently personalized in John to carry a verb like "to give"? The PNEUMA in John seems to be more of a quality (moves like the wind, linked with truth, etc), or a future paraclete.

      Just some thoughts.

      Mark

      Mark A. Matson
      Academic Dean, Milligan College