Re: [John_Lit] John and the Synoptics

  • Thomas W Butler
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 2, 2002
      Jeffrey,
      I note with interest the book edited by you and Musa W. Dube:

      Postcolonialism and the Gospel of John: Travel, Space, and Power.

      I am particularly intrigued by the title of your introduction:

      "Descending from and Ascending into Heaven:
      A Postcolonial Analysis of Travel, Space, and Power in John"

      Is it possible to read your introduction on-line?

      I have done some reflecting upon the use of the Jacob's ladder
      dream as it is used in the Fourth Gospel in my book
      Let Her Keep It.

      I'm curious to see whether your observations might be similar
      to my own.

      I'm afraid my budget will not absorb the $90 cost of your book
      (if I understood correctly what the projected cost would be from
      the link you provided).

    • Matson, Mark (Academic)
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2, 2002
        Hey Paul:

        I got a notice from Peter on this also. Great news to finally get this out. Do you know if we will get a complimentary copy, or if we might have to buy one? I wrote Peter, but have gotten no reply from him. (he still may be on a summer vacation).

        Hope all is well with you. I look forward to seeing you in Toronto.

        BTW, a non-scholarly little piece of mine is the new JOHN bible study in the Interpretation Bible Study series (WJK). Am currently working on a book on the various approaches to narrative time in the 4 gospels..... Any thoughts on this I would love to hear.

        I will be speaking at a conference in March with Craig Blomberg. He is dealing with historical reliability of John. I will deal with Johannine priority. Be interesting to see how he reacts to ideas of an early John. Should link up nicely with his new book.

        Mark

        Mark A. Matson
        Academic Dean, Milligan College
        http://www.milligan.edu/Administrative/MMatson/personal.htm

        ---
      • Matthew Estrada
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 3, 2002
          May we ask what conference you are referring to in
          March at which you and Blomberg will be speaking?
          Thanks. Matt Estrada

          --- "Matson, Mark (Academic)" <MAMatson@...>

          http://finance.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 3, 2002
            HI there, Mark, nice to hear from you! I don't know if we'll be getting copies complimentarily, but I think they will send us copies of our own essays at least.

            Congratulations on your commentary, that's great! I'll look forward to seeing it.

            Sounds like you and Craig will do well together; he's said some nice things about my "bi-optic" approach to Mark and John in the IVP Academic Alert, so he must be abiding in the truth in at least some ways. I like his approach to John's historicity, and our discussions on Jesus, John, and History for the next three years could stir things up a bit.

            Here, by the way, is my theory of John's composition, which I'm preparing for submission to a journal.

            Take care, Mark, and thanks for being in touch!

            Paul

            I got a notice from Peter on this also. Great news to finally get this out. Do you know if we will get a complimentary copy, or if we might have to buy one? I wrote Peter, but have gotten no reply from him. (he still may be on a summer vacation).

            Hope all is well with you. I look forward to seeing you in Toronto.

            BTW, a non-scholarly little piece of mine is the new JOHN bible study in the Interpretation Bible Study series (WJK). Am currently working on a book on the various approaches to narrative time in the 4 gospels..... Any thoughts on this I would love to hear.

            I will be speaking at a conference in March with Craig Blomberg. He is dealing with historical reliability of John. I will deal with Johannine priority. Be interesting to see how he reacts to ideas of an early John. Should link up nicely with his new book.

            Mark

            Mark A. Matson
            Academic Dean, Milligan College
            http://www.milligan.edu/Administrative/MMatson/personal.htm

            ---

          • Staley, Jeffrey
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 3, 2002
              I am particularly intrigued by the title of your introduction:

              "Descending from and Ascending into Heaven:
              A Postcolonial Analysis of Travel, Space, and Power in John"

              Is it possible to read your introduction on-line?

              SInce Musa Dube really wrote the intro (I functioned primarily as editor of
              the chapter), you should contact her, I think:

              DUBEMW@...

              I'm afraid my budget will not absorb the $90 cost of your book

              YIKES! Paperback is estimated at $28.50 or so (US funds).

              Jeff Staley
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 3, 2002
                I also extend my apologies to the group; I thought I was replying to Mark Matson alone.

                Paul Anderson

                PS Nonetheless, here is the line-up for the new John, Jesus and History Consultation which will run for the next three years at the national SBL meetings. Some excellent scholars will be presenting, and I believe it could play a formative role in ways we think about the Johannine tradition. All are welcome to attend!

                Here's the information from the program for the Toronto Saturday session:

                John, Jesus and History Consultation
                4:00 PM - 6:30 PM

                Theme: How John Became the 'Spiritual Gospel'

                Tom Thatcher, Cincinnati Bible Seminary, Presiding (10 min)
                Robert Kysar, Emory University
                The De-Historicizing of John <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=53&Last_Name=Kysar&First_Name=Robert')> (10 min)
                Marianne Meye Thompson, Fuller Theological Seminary, Respondent (10 min)
                Harold W Attridge, Yale, Respondent (10 min)
                Jaime Clark-soles, Perkins School Of Theology
                Discussion of Robert Kysar's 'The De-Historicizing of John' <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=56&Last_Name=Clark-soles&First_Name=Jaime')> (20 min)
                Paula Fredriksen, Boston University
                The De-Johannification of Jesus <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=57&Last_Name=Fredriksen&First_Name=Paula')> (10 min)
                Mark Allan Powell, Trinity Lutheran Seminary (10 min)
                Mary L Coloe, Australian Catholic Univ
                Discussion of Paula Fredriksen's 'The De-Johannification of Jesus' <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=90&Last_Name=Coloe&First_Name=Mary L')> (20 min)
                Felix Just, Loyola Marymount University
                Open Discussion <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=91&Last_Name=Just&First_Name=Felix')> (25 min)
                Paul N Anderson, George Fox College
                Getting a Sense of the Meeting <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=730&Last_Name=Anderson&First_Name=Paul N')>

              • Thomas W Butler
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 3, 2002
                  On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:10:58 -0400 "Matson, Mark (Academic)"
                  <MAMatson@...> writes:

                  > BTW, a non-scholarly little piece of mine is the new JOHN bible
                  > study in the Interpretation Bible Study series (WJK). Am currently
                  > working on a book on the various approaches to narrative time in the
                  > 4 gospels..... Any thoughts on this I would love to hear.

                  Mark:
                  I hope you will consider the approach that I have taken -
                  studying the Fourth Gospel through its use of Mosaic oracles.
                  I considered the use of terms relating to time (hour, day, three
                  days, six days, seven days, season, year, in the beginning) as
                  language used exactly as it is used in the Mosaic texts. These
                  terms function as "signs" (pointing to deeper meaning as defined
                  by their Mosaic contexts) in the Fourth Gospel.

                  Yours in Christ's service,
                  Tom Butler, author of
                  Let Her Keep It: Jesus' Ordination of Mary of Bethany -
                  A New Approach to the Study of the Gospel of John
                  Through Its Use of Mosaic Oracles
                • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 4, 2002
                    Dear Paul, Thanks for your information on the John Seminar which I look
                    forward to attending. I just received the prepublication for my history of
                    John,s Gospel. If you have a journal they will send you a free copy of the
                    two volumes for review. Let me know if you know any. Again thanks for your
                    kindness. Sincerely Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 4, 2002
                      Dear Sean and others,

                      You're welcome, Sean. I indeed would like to review it (and will discuss that with you privately), but for the benefit of others on this list, here's the blurb I prepared for Mellen Press (needless to say, I'm very impressed):

                      > "Covering the extensive secondary literature on the Gospel of John is a

                      > major endeavor, attempted by a few and accomplished by still fewer. Sean

                      > Kealy's exhaustive treatment of nineteen centuries of Johannine

                      > interpretation, however, does just that! Kealy not only analyzes

                      > judiciously the best of modern Johannine interpretation, but he also

                      > treats the reader to thoughtful analyses of the many ways the Fourth

                      > Gospel has been interpreted and regarded from the second century on.

                      > There is no treatment of Johannine scholarship like it--in any

                      > language--and no serious Johannine library is complete without it.

                      > Paul N. Anderson

                      ***

                      A second matter that may be of interest to members of our listserve is the lineup for the Johannine Literature Sections of the Toronto SBL sessions to be held from November 23-26. The registration information is available on the SBL website (http://www.sbl-site.org/Congresses/index.html), so if you'd like to attend, that site will provide the needed information.

                      Monday, November 25th

                      ===================================
                      S25-62
                      Johannine Literature Section
                      1:00 PM - 3:30 PM

                      Theme: Theme I (75 min): Review of Adele Reinhartz's "Befriending the Beloved Disciple: A Jewish Reading of the Gospel of John." New York: Continuum, 2001; Theme II (75 min) Current Issues in the Gospel of John

                      Felix Just, Loyola Marymount University, Presiding
                      Francisco Lozada, Univ Of The Incarnate Word, Panelist
                      Francis J Moloney, Catholic University Of America, Panelist
                      Sarah J Tanzer, Mccormick Theological Seminary, Panelist
                      Adele Reinhartz, Wilfred Laurier University
                      Robert Kysar, Emory University
                      Expulsion from the Synagogue: A Tale of a Theory <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=948&Last_Name=Kysar&First_Name=Robert')>
                      Break/recess ,
                      D Moody Smith, Duke University Divinity School, Respondent
                      Gail R O'day, Emory Univ Candler Sch Of Theo, Respondent

                      Tuesday, November 26th

                      ===================================
                      S26-10
                      Johannine Literature Section
                      9:00 AM - 11:30 AM

                      Colleen Conway, Seton Hall University, Presiding
                      Stan Harstine, Baylor University
                      Mysticism in the Fourth Gospel: An Evaluation of Research and its Implications <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=589&Last_Name=Harstine&First_Name=Stan')> (25 min)
                      Turid Karlsen Seim, University Of Oslo
                      The Child-Bearing God <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=1640&Last_Name=Seim&First_Name=Turid Karlsen')>
                      Henry Sturcke, Universitat Zurich
                      Anonymity in the Fourth Gospel: Arisen by any other name <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=1584&Last_Name=Sturcke&First_Name=Henry')> (25 min)
                      Jeffrey S Siker, Loyola Marymount University
                      "Johannine Redefinitions of Sin" <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=268&Last_Name=Siker&First_Name=Jeffrey S')> (25 min)
                      Mary L Coloe, Australian Catholic Univ
                      Anointing the New Temple (John 12:1-8) <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=32&Last_Name=Coloe&First_Name=Mary L')> (25 min)

                      ***

                      All the best!

                      Paul Anderson
                      Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
                      George Fox University
                      Newberg, OR 97132

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 15, 2003
                        I hope you are well, Sean. I'd be happy to write a review for the Princeton Theological Bulletin. If you could ask Mellen to send me a review copy, I'd appreciate it.

                        Take care,

                        PA

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 15, 2003
                          woops, apoligies to the group.

                          PA
                        • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 16, 2003
                            Dear Paul Delighted to hear from you and sincere thanks once again for so
                            many kindnesses. I am e-mailing Mellen toute suite if one can use a french
                            expression. Happy Easter Paul, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                          • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                              Dear Paul, I picked up a copy of your edition of Cadbury at the recent CBQ
                              meeting. Well Done! I notice that Joe Fitzmyer in Vol 1 p.52 of his
                              commentary say Cadbury gegan in 1912. Am I correct that he got the wrong
                              date? Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                                Thanks, Sean. Cadbury's first published essay that I am aware of was in the Westonian, 1911. I'm not aware of any published in 1912, although he published several in 1914. I'm in the process of publishing his NT works.

                                Take care,

                                Paul

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                                  Thanks Paul, I suspect that Fitzmyer's 1912 is en error. Best wishes with
                                  your publications. Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp.,

                                • John Lupia
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 11, 2003
                                    John N. Lupia, III
                                    31 Norwich Drive
                                    Toms River, New Jersey 08757 USA
                                    Phone: (732) 341-8689
                                    God Bless America

                                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                                  • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 13, 2003
                                      Dear Paul, I tried to send a message to John N. Lupia to thank him for his
                                      excellent correction of thr investigations of Cadbury and the Bibliography
                                      which he supplied, but it was returned to me. Could you kindly thank him
                                      for me. Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 13, 2003
                                        Actually, you three are sending your messages to the
                                        Johannine Literature Listserve. I think that John
                                        Lupia realizes this, but perhaps you and Paul haven't
                                        noticed yet.

                                        Jeffery Hodges

                                        --- "Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp" <kealy@...> wrote:

                                        > Dear Paul, I tried to send a message to John N.
                                        > Lupia to thank him for his
                                        > excellent correction of thr investigations of
                                        > Cadbury and the Bibliography
                                        > which he supplied, but it was returned to me. Could
                                        > you kindly thank him
                                        > for me. Sincerely, Sean p. Kealy C.S.Sp.

                                        447-791 Kyunggido, Osan-City

                                        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com