Re: [John_Lit] HIS disciples vs THE disciples

  • Mark House
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 10, 2002
      Wieland Willker wrote:

      >> Yuri has shown again and again that he has NOT the required knowledge. I
      have no time
      anymore to refute his theories. But I don't find it acceptable to just
      ignore him, leaving
      this as a forum for his fancies. The result will be that scholars will leave
      the list.
      Everybody is allowed a weak moment, a crazy idea, from time to time. But not
      permanently.

      >> Yuri has put up his own list. All those who are interested in his
      theories can go there and discuss everything there. Ok? Please....<<

      Then Jeffrey Gibson wrote:

      > But Yuri is **not** suggesting that the changes he thinks are evident in
      the
      > transmission of GJohn are due to random copyists' bias. Baldly put, he
      thinks
      > that it is due to an actual conspiracy, directed by the Roman church,
      after 135
      > when according to him Gentiles had hijacked Jewish Christianity, the
      intention
      > of which was to make Jesus into something they knew he was not and to
      promote
      > universally a picture of Jesus who was anti semitic and a Gentile. See the
      > beginnings of his "research" on this at:
      >
      > http://www.styx.org/yuku/pepys/w2ha.htm

      Thanks, gentlemen, for clarifying the causes of your frustration with regard
      to Yuri. Context is everything! Wieland's concern about losing scholarly
      participation on the list seems as valid as the one I raised regarding loss
      of participation because of the tone of the list. Scholastic freedom must be
      balanced against what is perceived to be poor scholarship and even
      deliberate deception.

      What to do? If Yuri has indeed been publicly critical of the list perhaps he
      should voluntarily end his participation. Otherwise, it may be time for hard
      decisions on the part of the list moderator. In any event, I hope the
      climate will be less inclement in the future, and I intend to contribute to
      what I hope will be a more helpful direction, beginning with my next post.

      Mark Aaron House
      Adjunct Assistant Professor of NT
      Fuller Theological Seminary