Re: [John_Lit] Imagery in John

  • Thomas W Butler
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 19, 2002
      On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:03:33 -0700 Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald@...>
      writes:

      > I wish Tom would give more examples - have I missed them?
      > There is this vague appeal to Moses in John - but only a rock
      > at Bethel compared to a temple and a grave... too much of an
      > exegetical stretch for my jaws - those muscles needed to blow
      > up balloons. (There's a little mixed extended metaphor -
      > a spritzer, if you like).

      OK Bob,
      I'd be glad to accommodate your request for more examples
      of Mosaic oracles in the Gospel of John.

      Let's begin with the first three words of the Gospel. How can
      anyone who is familiar with the opening verses of Genesis not
      recognize that the Gospel and the Torah begin the same way? I
      contend that this is not an accident. The operative word (beginning)
      is repeated in verse two and again in 2: 11 in which the point is
      made that Jesus produces signs and his disciples believe in him.

      Repetition of the word or a form of the word is a clue that a
      sign has been included in the text. In addition to these three
      incidences when a form of arxh is used, there are five others in
      this gospel: 6: 64; 8: 25, 44; 15: 27; 16:4.

      A close study of the first five verses of the gospel reveal a
      pattern that parallels the first five verses of Genesis. In fact,
      Kym Smith in his The Amazing Structure of the Gospel of John
      (Sherwood Productions, 2000), suggests that Genesis 1 and 2
      provide a framework for much of the Gospel's structure.

      I have published what is a bare beginning of what I call a
      concordance of Mosaic and Johannine Signs in my book.
      It contains 40 entries, such as anointing oil, blood, body,
      bosom, day, dust, feet, footstool, gate, hair, hand, head,
      etc. For each entry I have listed both the Mosaic passages
      in which the semeion appears and the Johannine passage.
      If you would like a copy of it, let me know off list, and I
      will send you an attachment.