[John_Lit] Re: Metaphor

  • David Hunter
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 1999
      Nigel,

      A couple of suggestions -

      Dorothy A. Lee _The Symbolic Narratives of the Fourth Gospel: The Interplay of
      Form and Meaning._ Sheffield: JSOT/ Sheffield Academic Press, 1994. (with
      chapters on 2:23-3:36; 4:1-42; 5:1-47; 6:1-71; 9:1-41; 11:1 - 12:11)

      Lee, in constructing her methodology, draws in part from the chapter "Metaphor
      and Symbol" in Paul Ricoeur's _ Interpretation Theory: Discourse and the
      Surplus of Meaning._ Fort Worth, Texas: Texas Christian University Press,
      1976. pp. 45-69.

      See also Robert Kysar “The Making of Metaphor: Another Reading of John
      3:1-15.” In _'What is John?': Readers and Readings of the Fourth Gospel._ ed.
      Fernando F. Segovia. Atlanta, Georgia: Scholars Press, 1996. pp. 21-41.

      Kysar speaks of 'surplus of meaning' in dialogue with a 'reader-response'
      approach to the text (he follows F. Moloney). Kysar also refers back to the
      work by Norman Perrin _Jesus and the Language of the Kingdom: Symbol and
      Metaphor in New Testament Interpretation._ London: SCM Press, 1976. which, as
      you probably know, explores the language of the parables.

      Kysar has a brief section at the conclusion of his essay on "Johannine
      Metaphor and Synoptic Parables".

      All the best

      David Hunter
      PhD Candidate
      St Marks National Theological Centre
      School of Theology, Charles Sturt University
      Canberra Australia

      N & RJ Hanscamp wrote:

      > I wonder if anyone knows of article/s or reference material for the use of
      > metaphor in GJohn. I am especially interested in relevant material on the
      > "new birth" in ch 3 or water in ch 6,7.
      >
      > Nigel
      > Nigel Hanscamp
      > Trinity Methodist Theological College
      > Auckland Consortium of Theological Education, New Zealand
      > Email: hanscamps@...

    • Michael Newheart
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 25, 1999
        I too have a couple of suggestions:

        Jones, Larry Paul. The Symbol of Water in the Gospel of John
        JSNTSup 145. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press, 1997.

        Koester, Craig R. Symbolism in the Fourth Gospel: Meaning, Mystery,
        Community. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1995.

        Peace to you,
        Michael Willett Newheart
        Assoc. Prof. NT