Re: [John_Lit] Re: Double meaning and imagery

  • Kevin Anderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2002
      Pete Phillips wrote:
      "Just a comment on language - double meaning is the wrong term to use. It
      suggests that a Greek word has two meanings."

      I agree. I think what we are discussing is more dynamic than "double
      meaning." I also have a question: By "double meaning" are we discussing
      polyvalence or plurisignation, or are these different phenomena?
      Misunderstanding and irony also come into play, of course. I am intrigued by
      a note in Michael Harding's initial post in this thread in which he wrote:

      "the possibility that the 'author' of the 4G has a hermeneutic that both
      subverts our modern understanding as well as 'his/her' ancient one."

      ISTM that J's "subversive hermeneutic" is exactly the thing behind the
      Gospel's challenge/invitation to the reader to rethink the whole kosmos and
      one's place in it vis a vis Jesus. That John can mean less and more than
      meets the mind's eye ("double meaning"?) is a fascinating part of J's
      disarming of the reader before a fuller understanding can be reached.

      Thanks to all.
      Pr. Kevin Anderson
      forks@...