[John_Lit] Work in progress on the Gospel of John

  • Michael Newheart
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 1999

      I would like to use this forum to let group members know of my current project: Word and Soul; A Psychological, Literary, and Cultural Reading of the Fourth Gospel, to be published by Liturgical Press. I am completing it this semester while I am on sabbatical. Here is the precis of the book:

      This book examines the fourth gospel from the perspective of "soul," in contrast to the "ego" perspective of other critical approaches. The soul approaches the gospel as poetry; it playfully engages johannine images and rhythms; and it explores likenesses to those images and rhythms in the world of the reader. This "soul reading" of the gospel is influenced by three elements: analytical/archetypal psychology, which reorients psychology to "the study of the soul"; African-American cultural experience, which is often characterized as "soul"; and reader-response criticism, which emphasizes that the reading of a text is shaped by the reader's psychological and social location. After a brief methological discussion, selected portions of the fourth gospel are read "soulfully." Attention is given to the prologue, the signs, the conversations with Nicodemus and the Samaritan, the disputes with the Judeans, the farewell discourse, the trial before Pilate, the death, and the resurrection appearances.

      I would be happy to have discussion about my work. I've presented sections of it at the 1997 annual meeting (Psychology & Biblical Studies Group) & the 1996-98 regional meetings, & I will present another section from it at this year's annual meeting (Johannine Literature Section). I would be happy to share these papers or other sections of my work.

      Thank you.

      Peace to you,
      Michael Willett Newheart
      Assoc. Prof. NT, Howard U. Sch. of Div.