RE: [John_Lit] John 7:37-39

  • Bob MacDonald
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2002
      Dear Frank

      Thanks again for your insights. You wrote: As respects John 7:37-39, I
      suspect you are correct in seeing a linkage to Zech. 14:8.

      I note there is also a reference in Zechariah 13:1 "When that day comes, a
      fountain will be opened for the House of David and the citizens of
      Jerusalem, for sin and impurity."

      One of the questions this link between John and Zechariah raises is how the
      first century Jews used the Tanach and other sources when they wrote their
      understandings of their knowledge of Jesus and the gospel.

      That 14:8 follows the "Smite the shepherd/scatter the sheep" passage (13:7,
      John 16:32) would give some understanding to the sequence which John implies
      when he writes 'he was not yet glorified'. John 12:15 also references
      Zechariah 9:9; John 10:12-13 alludes to the worthless shepherd of Zechariah
      11:17. Most of the direct references to Zechariah in the NT are in
      Revelation. This would give some credibility to the evangelist and the
      theologian being the same author, the earlier work being the gospel. I have
      always thought, following Ellul (Apocalypse Seabury Press 1977), that the
      subject of the Apocalypse is the death of Jesus and not at all the lunatic
      fringe prediction algorithm that is postulated in the latest pulp fiction
      (even worse than it was in the 70s).

      Certainly this is the subject of John - his hour, his glory as of an only
      begotten - and it is why the disciples can believe these signs and make so
      much of them now that they have known that death and its merciful aftermath
      for themselves. There is a purity here that exceeds what can be achieved
      with Moses (John 1:45; Acts 13:39 is what I was really remembering - funny I
      thought it was in John!) as wine exceeds water.

      Bob

      mailto::BobMacDonald@...
      + + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

      Catch the foxes for us,