Re: [John_Lit] John 19:25-27

  • Thomas W Butler
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2002
      Dear Mary and Frank,
      At last a few hours appear on the horizon in which I can respond
      to your excellent posts written way back on 11 / 15 and 12 / 18 of
      last year!

      On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:06:09 +1100 M.Coloe@... writes:

      > Now it appears that you are focusing, instead of upon 19: 27b, on
      > 19: 27a, when Jesus says to the BD, "Here is your mother." In this
      > case, the BD would be taken into the household of the mother of
      > Jesus, wouldn't it? Jesus has officiated at the adoption of the BD
      > by his (Jesus') own mother.

      Mary, the NRSV text explicitly says, "And from that hour the disciple
      took her INTO HIS OWN HOME." Actually, what it says in Greek
      is that the disciple took her to his own. This same expression is used
      elsewhere in the Fourth Gospel to describe those whom Jesus
      recognized as his, that is the sheep of his (the Good Shepherd's) flock.
      The use of this phrase clearly indicates that the adoption, if we are to
      use that term, is OF Mary, not BY Mary.

      As you know, I contend in my book, Let Her Keep It, that Mary
      of Bethany fulfills the role of Moses in Jn. 11: 55 - 12: 8, by con-
      secrating the new altar of the new temple, (the temple being the
      body of Jesus and the altar being his feet) when she anoints the
      feet of Jesus.

      Frank McCoy, you have done an excellent job (in your post
      published on this list on 11-15-01, which I have pasted to
      this message below) using the references to Zechariah 6: 12-13
      that Mary used in her book God Dwells With Us to explain the
      meaning of the sign affixed to the cross by Pilate (Jn. 19: 19-22).
      You suggested that the BD was to function as the High Priest
      Messiah interpreted in the manner of the Essenes.

      I followed your rationale all the way to the point where you
      proposed that this High Priest was James. I would submit,
      on the contrary, that the BD was Mary of Bethany, and that
      she does, indeed, function as the High Priest, or in 1st Century
      Christian terms, the Bishop (Opiskopos) of the Johannine
      community. (I have shown that the language of Jn. 12: 7 is
      actually ordination language, in which Jesus sets Mary apart
      for the sake of remembering the tradition of his death.)

      All of this leads me to the conclusion that Jn. 19: 27b tells the
      reader that Mary was taken into the Johannine community
      from the time of the crucifixion forward. There is little doubt
      in my mind that this is a claim by the author(s) of the text that
      the Johannine community is the legitimate church, the community
      that Jesus entrusted with the care of his own mother.

      The suggestion that both of you have made that Mary represents
      the church supports this interpretation, since Jesus has clearly
      entrusted the care of Mary to the BD, who from that time on
      takes her to his (actually HER) own. The BD, in other words,
      inherits the Good Shepherd's own flock. That she (Mary of
      Bethany, the BD) has an important role to play is affirmed in
      Jn. 12: 8 where Jesus advises Judas (and the other disciples)
      that they will not always have him (Jesus)(with them). (So
      they will need someone else who remembers all that Jesus has
      taught and done to lead them.)