Re: Water symbolism in Jn: was: The Mrs. and the Burial

  • kymhsm
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2002
      Dear Mary,

      You wrote:
      > In my work on Temple symbolism I argued that both Jn 4 and 7:37-39
      draw > their imagery from Ezekiel's vision of the eschatological
      Temple in Ezekiel > 47 and the Johannine Christology that presents
      Jesus as the Temple - Jn 1:14; 2:19, 21.>

      I think you are quite correct to link John's references to `living
      water' to Ezekiel's vision of the river in ch. 47, but this does not
      deny the connection of the water with the Holy Spirit. While I agree
      with you, I think that you have missed a step in the connection you
      have drawn. That step becomes clear if we see that the Revelation
      preceded the gospel of John. In the Revelation the `river of life'
      (22:1-2) is obviously based upon Ezekiel's vision. For John, then,
      the development was/is:
      Ezekiel's water/river that flows from the threshold / altar (47:1) /
      sanctuary (47:12)
      which leads to:
      the Revelation's `river of the water of life' (22:1) which flowed
      from `the throne of God and of the Lamb' (a trinitarian picture when
      the water indicates the Spirit)
      which leads to:
      John's `living water' (4:10) which `will become in him a spring of
      water welling up to eternal life' (4:14) and the thirst quencher that
      Jesus offered which, for those who received it, `Out of his heart
      shall flow rivers of living water' (7:37-39).

      What ever else we may think about the `living water' in John, it is
      (at very least) a reference to the Holy Spirit.

      Incidentally, I have argued for the priority of the Revelation in my
      book, `Redating the Revelation andÂ…' (Sherwood Publications, 2001).

      Sincerely,

      Kym Smith
      Adelaide
      South Australia