Re: [John_Lit] The Mrs. and the Burial

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18, 2002
      In a message dated 4/18/2002 5:24:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Peter.Hofrichter@... writes:

      << Mark combined Joseph of Arimathea with the qualifications of
      Nikodemus, whom he did not accept into his gospel. Look up the
      parallels: Jn 19,38. 3,1.3 and Mk 15,43-45. a noble counceler ...
      waiting for the kingdom if God.>>

      I think it is much more likely that John invented the second personality
      (Nicodemus) in order to accommodate the different descriptions of Joseph
      found in Matt and Luke. I wrote on this in an article on Lk 24 I recently
      presented at EDS-Harvard.
      On your hypothesis, why did Matthew and Luke decide to do the same as Mark
      and omit Nicodemus? Strange that they do the opposite with the women (add to
      the single Mary found in John).

      Leonard Maluf