A married Jesus.

  • Moloney, Francis J.
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2002
      Jack,

      Good to hear your strong convictions on Jesus' being married. Have you
      ever thought about the eunuch saying in Matt 19:12 in this context?
      What is the form-critical background for that - Sitz im Leben Jesu ...
      or der Kirche? If the former, what did he mean? If the latter (which I
      find hard to accept on the basis of the word "eunuch"), I can understand
      why its there.

      I did something on this years ago ... I may have been wrong. I
      suggested then that this is the only Gospel evidence in support of the
      belief that Jesus was unmarried. The study (updated) is now available
      in my recent "A Hard Saying." The Gospel and Culture (Collegeville: The
      Liturgical Press, 2001), 34-52.

      Respectfully,

      Frank Moloney
      Catholic University of America (where else? - smiling!)