Re: [John_Lit] Jesus' relations

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2002
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Kevin O'Brien" <symeon@...>
      To: <johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 10:14 PM
      Subject: [John_Lit] Jesus' relations

      Kevin:

      Since this is the furthest form of conjecture, I would prefer to discuss it
      off list and will respond in that manner.

      Jack

      > To Jack Kilmon
      >

      > Dear Jack,
      >

      > This is one of my longer postings but your objections cannot be treated
      satisfactorily by a piecemeal type of response, so here goes: I think the
      best way to begin answering your objections, (there are many!) esp.
      concerning Jesus' relations is to give you my modification to the
      Hieronymian Hypothesis in detail and let you see how it affects your overall
      arguments to the contrary:

      > Modifications to the Hieronymian Hypothesis
      > My modification of the Hieronymian hypothesis outlined below proposes that
      the 'brethren' of Mark 6:3 par. John 7:5 consisted of two groups of two
      persons each. The first paired group consisted of Simon and (possibly) Jude
      as first cousins of Jesus. The second paired group consisted of James and
      Joses but not as blood-brothers of Jesus but nonetheless related to him as
      other than first cousins.

      > Clopas/Cleopas - the same person, not from a philological derivation but
      from his shortened name arising from a domestic situation of living in the
      same house complex as the writer of the Fourth Gospel who gives us his
      shortened name -- and Joseph were uterine brothers. Alphaeus was only
      distantly related to them. How far distant no-one knows. Alphaeus' married
      the 'Mary' mentioned in John 19.25; Mark 15.40, 47; Matt 27.56. Their
      children were James and Joses. Alphaeus then died, (probably with Joseph
      killed in the civil war which raged in Galilee (see Jos. Antiquities), that
      ensued upon Herod the Great's death, by that leaving this same 'Mary' free
      to re-wed. Clopas first married an unknown woman, their offspring being
      Simon and Jude. Clopas' first wife then was the mother of Simon and Jude.
      Clopas' first wife then died, by that leaving Clopas free to re-wed.