Re: [John_Lit] Lazarus

  • Thomas W Butler
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2002
      James Frank McGrath,
      It is important to note that in parable in Luke's gospel, one of
      the characters is named. The name is a significant part of the
      parable. It is useful to understand how the Galileans would
      have pronounced the name of Eliezar, but the important point
      is that the name was used.
      I submit that when one starts with the parable in Luke's gospel
      the critical nature of the parable is revealed when one recognizes
      that the name Lazarus (Eliezar) is frequently followed in the
      Hebrew texts by the title "the priest." Lazarus represents a
      priest who has been left outside of the gate of the house in
      which a rich man feasts sumptuously every day. Such a house
      is the house of the High Priest, who alone feasts sumptuously
      EVERY DAY. The parable condemns the High Priest for
      expelling priests who had a right to share in the leftovers from
      the High Priest's table. Jesus is identifying with those priests.
      My theory is that the Fourth Gospel is a midrash-like
      commentary on the Jesus tradition, using language from the
      Pentateuch. Following that theory, the story of the raising
      of Lazarus tells how Jesus called priests away from that same
      house where Mary and Martha mourned their spiritual death.
      He called them out of the tomb which the temple, ruled by the
      High Priest, had become.