Re: [John_Lit] The most Offensive Gospel

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2002
      James McGrath noted a couple of things that I would
      also include among the offensive points in John's
      Gospel:

      - calling people children of the devil

      - saying people need to eat flesh and drink blood

      I could list others but need to prepare for classes.
      Besides, I think that others listers could add any
      number of them.

      I think that the fourth evangelist was doing something
      similar to what Stanley Fish argues that Milton was
      doing in "Paradise Lost," i.e., writing in a way to
      force his readers to react positively or negatively to
      his portrayal of God and of Satan.

      For example, Fish argues that those -- like William
      Blake -- who read Milton as being on the side of Satan
      were actually expressing their own, not Milton's,
      preference for Satan as portrayed in "Paradise Lost."

      The fourth evangelist, I think, was being
      intentionally provocative in order to force a
      reaction, either of offense or of faith.

      Jeffery Hodges

      P.S. My own provocative remarks seem to have done
      something similar.

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/