Re: Jn 2:1-11 in the Persian Diatessaron

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 2002
      On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, frides lameris wrote in johannine_literature-l:

      > Dear Yuri,
      >
      > I'm still preparing a (proper) reaction to your mail on the Persian
      > Diatessaron readings compared to the Canonical John text (Jn 2:1-11)
      > and MG-text.

      Hello, Frides,

      Looking forward to this!

      > I have one question to you in advance.
      >
      > Are you aware that the first papyri of gospel fragments are of the
      > Gospel of John, and may be dated earliest 125, latest 150?
      >
      > This information was not availalbe at the time A. Loisy (whom you
      > consider to be you mentor as I found on your website) wrote his books.
      > Gospel of John can therefore not be dated very late.
      >
      > A.F.J. Klijn told me once, that because the gospel of John had reached
      > Egypt already in that time (and was accepted), it must have been in
      > use already for a while.

      I think you're talking about the Rylands Papyrus (P52) now. It was first
      published in 1935 and, right away, attracted a lot of attention. It's true
      that it can be considered as something of a problem for Loisy (who passed
      away in 1940) because Loisy was a very late dater of the final editions of
      all 4 canonical gospels. Unfortunately, I don't know if Loisy made any
      specific comments about it in his last years.

      But, as I understand it, recently there's a trend to date Rylands somewhat
      later, i.e. to the second half of 2c. If it's so dated, then it would not
      really present any big problems for Loisy's theories at all.

      In any case, I think we should be cautious about those very early datings
      of Rylands, and how much weight can be placed on them. After all, this is
      just a very small scrap of papyrus, which contains, I believe, only 118
      legible letters. So how certain can we really be about a paleographic
      determination for such a small sample of text?

      And how precise paleographic dating is, in any case, even for the very
      long and well preserved mss? Opinions differ.

      Also, I would like to note the recent article by C. Tuckett in the New
      Testament Studies, "P52 and Nomina Sacra" (October 2001). In this article,
      he tried to find the Nomina Sacra in our MS Rylands, but was unsuccessful.
      (He did a detailed study of the line-length, and word-spacing in this ms.)
      So he concluded that 'Jesus' was written in full in the two instances
      where one might have expected to find Nomina Sacra in MS Rylands. But it
      is generally believed that there was a regular practice of abbreviating
      nomina sacra in early Christianity. So this seems at odds with a very
      early dating of Rylands, although, admittedly, this is not rock-solid
      evidence.

      In any case, here, very briefly, is my general position on the textual
      history of the Fourth Gospel. In my view, the Magdalene Gospel preserves
      many passages of an earlier, pre-canonical edition of Jn. I date this
      edition previous to ca 150 CE, which is when I date MG. Just how much
      further back before 150 CE this text may go is not really an essential
      matter for me at this point. Indeed, there is probably some material there
      that goes back to well before 100 CE.

      But very soon after 150 CE, Jn was substantially re-edited and expanded to
      result in our current canonical text. This was completed already by the
      time of Irenaeus. So, at the moment, I'm aware of no evidence,
      paleographic or otherwise, that would really contradict this general
      picture of John's history.

      > I add to this, that Gospel of John must have had a very good
      > (apostolic) status to be accepted as a gospel, even or especially when
      > the other gospels would already have been in existence.
      >
      > It is only known in its final form and all 'protodesigns' are
      > questionable. They are simply creations ('imaginations') of literary
      > criticism. Historical science knows little of their existence!

      I agree that there are currently many theories in this area, but little
      hard textual confirmation for them. But now, there may be some.

      > Appreciate your persistence to bring MG under attention of list
      > members, but prospects for general agreements (to me) seem to be far
      > away.

      All I want to do at this point is to test this new evidence before
      knowledgeable scholars. I don't really expect people to agree with me, but
      more to point out some weaknesses in my arguments.

      > If we suppose there to be pre-canonical texts of John, we can suppose.
      > You would however have to produce a guess what would have been present
      > in the earlier edition. You can't escape, I fear, to make
      > reconstructions (conjectures) to what the 'original' GREEK (or for
      > that matter even ARAMAIC!) text may have looked like.

      Well, this isn't really so hard. What I'm saying is that I have many
      substantial passages from an earlier, pre-canonical edition of Jn,
      reasonably well-preserved. With time, this can be back-translated into
      various ancient languages easily enough.

      Best wishes,

      Yuri.

      equivalent to becoming God -=O=- Julian
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2002
        Dear Colleagues,

        May I point out what promises to be an outstanding conference on John and
        Christian theology over a year from now at the University of St. Andrews
        on the following website:

        http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/academic/divinity/john_2.html

        Richard Bauckham will be posting further information as it emerges, but I
        thought some of you might be interested in planning ahead for travel plans
        and that some might even want to consider proposing shorter papers.

        All the best!

        Paul Anderson
      • Matthew Estrada
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30, 2002
          Paul, May I ask what "text" the below paragraph from the website that you provided for us refers to that these 3 scholars (Hengel, Moltmann, and Williams) will be discussing? thank you. Matt Estrada

          "This will be a major opportunity for biblical scholars and Christian theologians to come together in dialogue around a biblical text which has had a profound influence on Christian theology, especially in the classic formative periods of the theological tradition but which has often been found theologically problematic in the modern period."

          Paul Anderson <panderso@...> wrote: Dear Colleagues,

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30, 2002
            Matthew Estrada wrote:

            > Paul, May I ask what "text" the below paragraph
            > from the website that you provided for us refers to
            > that these 3 scholars (Hengel, Moltmann, and
            > Williams) will be discussing?

            I realize that you're addressing Paul, and he can
            correct me if I'm wrong, but I took the "text" to mean
            the Johannine text as a whole.

            447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

            http://health.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30, 2002
              johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com writes:

              > Paul, May I ask what "text" the below paragraph from the website that
              >you provided for us refers to that these 3 scholars (Hengel, Moltmann,
              >and Williams) will be discussing? thank you. Matt Estrada

              The text referred to is the Gospel of John, and analyses will consider
              John's extensive impact on Christian theology.

              Thanks for asking,

              Paul Anderson

              >"This will be a major opportunity for biblical scholars and Christian
              >theologians to come together in dialogue around a biblical text which has
              >had a profound influence on Christian theology, especially in the classic
              >formative periods of the theological tradition but which has often been
              >found theologically problematic in the modern period."
              >
              > Paul Anderson <panderso@...> wrote: Dear Colleagues,
              >
              >May I point out what promises to be an outstanding conference on John and
              >Christian theology over a year from now at the University of St. Andrews
              >on the following website:
              >
              >http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/academic/divinity/john_2.html
              >
              >Richard Bauckham will be posting further information as it emerges, but I
              >thought some of you might be interested in planning ahead for travel plans
              >and that some might even want to consider proposing shorter papers.
              >
              >All the best!
              >
              >Paul Anderson

            • Thomas W Butler
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2002
                Dear Paul,
                Thank you for the "heads up" re: the John and Christian Theology
                Conference set for June / July 03.
                I am particularly interested in the Lazarus Narrative portion of
                the program. Are the presenters authors on this topic? Do you
                know something about their perspectives? Will that and other
                portions of the program be published for those unable to attend?