[John_Lit] John's Greek

  • Bill Skelton
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 1999
      Jim (I cannot quote you because I accidentally deleted your message!):

      I'm not sure that Cross's or Lightfoot's point is that John's Greek was of poor quality. I believe many would consider Joseph Conrad the greatest novelist in the English language and yet his first language was Polish! If I remember reading correctly, literary scholars claim they can detect  Conrad's Polish origins from his syntax and so on.

      But you agree that the author of the Gospel of John was a Jew. That is essentially what I am trying to establish. (As is no doubt obvious to you by now, I am not a scholar myself.) My question for you then is do you come to that conclusion on the basis of his language or his thought or something else? And is that opinion shared by the majority of your colleagues?

      -Bill Skelton

      Bill Skelton