Re: [John_Lit] Water and wine

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2002
      Ross Saunders wrote:

      > I think it is clear that only as the servants obeyed
      > Jesus' orders to 'draw out now' did the water become
      > wine. If I am right, then what does the capacity of
      > the water containers matter?

      Ramsey Michaels asked:

      > If the capacity of the water containers does not
      > matter, why does the writer go to the trouble of
      > giving us that information?

      I think that Ramsey poses a good question. I add the
      note that the evangelist also goes to the trouble to
      tell us that Jesus ordered the servants to fill the
      water containers and that the servants subsequently
      filled them up to the top. Why would the evangelist
      specify these things if they are unimportant?

      I think that the evangelist is making a point about
      the messiah bringing about eschatological fullness --
      an abundance of wine (and bread/wheat) being expected
      with the eschaton.

      Consequently, I think that the evangelist meant for us
      to understand all of the water as having been changed
      into wine.

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      http://mail.yahoo.com/