Re: [John_Lit] Johannine tradition

  • Bob Schacht
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2002
      At 06:54 PM 2/27/2002 -0800, you wrote:
      > This is on John, though not canonical Johannine literature. I once
      >heard a story abut JOhn that is extracanonical . I've been unable to
      >confirm this anywhere, and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea where I
      >might find this tradition, or if the person who repeated it was giving a
      >bogus account. The account goes like this. John is in Ephesus. They
      >carry him into the Christian assembly on a mat because he can't walk
      >anymore, and ask him to offer a word of exhortation. He sits up and says
      >"Love one another" and lies back down, and is carried out. They bring
      >him in to another meeting, and ask him for a word of exhortation. He
      >sits up and says "Love one another," lies back down and is carried out.
      >This happens every time they bring John into the Christian assembly.
      >Finally, they ask John when he is going to teach them something new, and
      >he replies, "When you've learned to love one another, we'll go to
      >something else." Is this an actual, known tradition (not to say
      >historical), or did the person who said this, or whomever he read, make
      >it up? I don't remember anything like this from reading the Church
      >Fathers, but maybe it's in some apocryphal work. Thanks.
      >
      >Ken

      Ken,
      I don't know which way the arrow points here, but I've heard essentially
      the same story told of a new(?) priest delivering the same sermon ad
      infinitum, with the same eventual question and a similar response. Is this
      a back-formation using the Jerome tradition?
      Bob
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2002
        > This is on John, though not canonical Johannine literature. I once
        > heard a story abut JOhn that is extracanonical . I've been unable to
        > confirm this anywhere, and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea where I
        > might find this tradition, or if the person who repeated it was giving a
        > bogus account. The account goes like this. John is in Ephesus. They
        > carry him into the Christian assembly on a mat because he can't walk
        > anymore, and ask him to offer a word of exhortation. He sits up and says
        > "Love one another" and lies back down, and is carried out. They bring
        > him in to another meeting, and ask him for a word of exhortation. He
        > sits up and says "Love one another," lies back down and is carried out.
        > This happens every time they bring John into the Christian assembly.
        > Finally, they ask John when he is going to teach them something new, and
        > he replies, "When you've learned to love one another, we'll go to
        > something else." Is this an actual, known tradition (not to say
        > historical), or did the person who said this, or whomever he read, make
        > it up? I don't remember anything like this from reading the Church
        > Fathers, but maybe it's in some apocryphal work. Thanks.

        Actually, that tradition comes to us from Jerome, Ken. John was an old man
        in Ephesus and many pilgrims would come to get a glimpse of the last living
        disciple. John would have to be carried in to the church in the arms of
        disciples. He would never say anything more than "Little children, love one
        another." When the disciples wearied of hearing the same thing all the
        time, they asked, "Master, why do you always say this?" His reply was "It
        is the Lord's command and if this alone be done, it is enough!"

        Jack

        -----
        Dakma dabadton l'chad min haleyn achi zoreh li hav abadton

        Jack Kilmon
        San Marcos, Tx
        jkilmon@...

        http://www.historian.net