[John_Lit] Re: "I Am" sayings (was "Passover Themes in John 6")

  • ProfRam@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 1999
      Another place where we might have expected, "I am the water of life," or
      something of the kind, is 7:37, where instead of this Jesus simply says, "If
      anyone thirst, let him come to me," etc.

      A common pattern is an "I Am" pronouncement followed by an invitation of some
      sort, "If anyone," or "Anyone who" (cf. 6:35, 8:12, 10:9, 11:25-26). 7:37-38
      would fit that perfectly *if* it were preceded by "I am the water of life,"
      but it is not. Furthermore, unlike the passage in ch. 4, this comes at a
      point in the Gospel at which the "I am" predication is nicely broken in
      (having occurred repeatedly in ch. 6, where the author also missed a chance
      to use it in 6:35b).

      In short, the enigma remains.

      Ramsey Michaels