Re: Statistical Analyses of John?

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 25, 2002
      I have done a bit of this. Counted words and grammatical things. Did a Principal Component
      Analysis. The outcome is pretty much what we already know:
      On the one end are chapters 14-17, clearly separated.
      On the other end is chapter 2, especially verses 1-12 being very different from the rest.
      Interestingly next to ch. 2 are ch. 19-20.
      Ch. 21 does not stand out in any significant way.

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      ---------------
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 25, 2002
        johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com writes:
        >Jeffery,
        > May I add to your inquirey? I wonder if anyone has done a
        >word study of the FG with an eye toward showing a correlation
        >between the gospel and the Septuagint version of the Pentateuch.
        >I have found some hints that the extensive use of signs in the FG
        >depends upon the Septuagint version of the Pentateuch as a
        >cipher. Paul, do any of the sources you suggested address this
        >question? Do you or does anyone else on the list know of such
        >a study?
        >
        >Yours in Christ's service,
        >Tom Butler

        Yes, Tom, you are not alone in those inferences. Two highly significant
        monographs on the subject are Edwin Freed's _Old Testament Quotations in
        the Gospel of John_ and B. Noack's _Zur johanneischen Tradition_. In
        addition, treatments by Barrett and Brown in their commentary
        introductions are excellent on the matter. They infer Septuagintal
        inclinations with a few exceptions, but few explicit citations as such.

        Paul Anderson
      • jlupia2
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 26, 2002
          Jeffery Hodges asked:
          > Has anyone done a sophisticated statistical analysis
          > of different parts of John's Gospel to try to
          > determine different sources based upon word
          > frequencies? Or, similarly, to determine Johannine
          > style?

          Dear Jeffery :

          I have been working on a comprehensive and complete
          statistical analysis of the entire New Testament for some years
          which seems unending due to: new Uncial and papyri
          discoveries; and increased criteria and methods. Currently, I
          have built 234 statistical tables for the Gospel of John based on
          all known papyri, the Vulgate, and NA 27, and I am still far from
          complete. It would be nice to publish this research but I do not
          know which publisher would be interested in this area of
          research.

          Cordially,
          Joh

          John N. Lupia
          501 North Avenue B-1
          Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
        • Yuri Kuchinsky
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 26, 2002
            On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, historynow2002 wrote:

            > I was reading the article on the Samaritans found in
            > THE ENCYLCOPEDIA OF RELIGION (Vol. 13). It had this
            > to say in connection with the Gospel of John:
            >
            > Page 34
            > "In New Testament times the Samaritans shared practices
            > and beliefs with both heterodox and orthodox sects of
            > Judaism. With the Qumran sectarians they shared a
            > renunciation of the Jerusalem Temple, emphasis on the
            > significance of Moses, a messianic interpretion of Deut.
            > 18:18, and usage of the term "the sons of light". Indeed
            > there were apparent schisms within the Samaritan community
            > itself. Simon Magus (Acts 8:9ff) may have been the leader
            > of the Dositheans, an unorthodox, possibly gnostic-influenced,
            > Samaritan group."
            >
            > "Some New Testament books, particularly the Gospel of
            > John, appear to address a Samaritan audience. Some examples
            > are the attention to the Samaritan woman in chapter 4, the
            > reference to "other sheep" in 10:16, and the use of the
            > important Samaritan imagery of light. Some argue that the
            > speech in Acts 7 betrays Stephen's Samaritan origins since
            > he, like the Samaritans, challenges the Jerusalem Temple
            > and priesthood and refers to the key Samaritan biblical
            > verse, Deut. 18:18."
            >
            > [END OF CLIP]
            >
            > And of course this article doesn't even mention the
            > reference to Jesus himself as being a samaritan. This
            > might explain the truer use of the term Hellene or
            > Hellenistic Jew... those non-Jewish Hebrews which
            > grew up oriented to the Temple in Jerusalem instead of
            > to the one in Shechem.
            >
            > Thoughts or comments?

            George,

            What is a non-Jewish Hebrew?

            Also, whose "use of the term Hellene or Hellenistic Jew" are you referring
            to?

            Best,

            Yuri.

            Yuri Kuchinsky -=O=- http://www.trends.ca/~yuku -=O=- Toronto

            I doubt, therefore I might be.
          • historynow2002
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 27, 2002
              Yuri,

              You ask:

              " What is a non-Jewish Hebrew?"

              Well, technically speaking, a Benjaminite would be considered
              someone who was Hebrew but not of the tribe of Judah. Of course,
              there might be those who argue that the Benjaminites were so
              thoroughly inter-married that Benjaminites would ALSO be
              considered Judah-ites.

              We get a further glimpse of Hebrew NOT of the Tribe of Judah
              in Ezra:

              Ezr 2:43
              The Nethinims: the children of Ziha, the
              children of Hasupha, the children of
              Tabbaoth,

              These Nethinims were part of the returnees to Jerusalem.
              And by most accounts they are made up of people who were
              descended of Midianites (taken prisoner in an early conflict),
              or Gibeonites (bondservants to the temple in exchange for
              their lives).

              And then there are comments that do not seem to equate
              JUDAH with ISRAEL:

              Ezr 2:70
              So the priests, and the Levites, and [some] of
              the people, and the singers, and the porters,
              and the Nethinims, dwelt in their cities, and all
              Israel in their cities.

              This verse helps to differentiate the Judahites
              who lived in Jerusalem, with all the REST of the
              remnant of Israel that dwells in other cities.

              And of course, in the New Testament, we get hints
              that there was a general attitude that tribes OTHER
              than Judah and Benjaminin were still extant:

              Luke 2:36 describes the prophetess Anna as a member
              of the little-known Tribe of Asher. And Jesus describes
              the role of the 12 apostles as being judges of the
              12 tribes. This in itself would go a long way to suggest
              that the followers of Jesus had lots of Samaritans (i.e.,
              NON-JUDAHITE Hebrew). For certainly it would be extraordinary
              to have the NORTHERN TRIBES ruled over by those of Jewish
              ancestry..... and even more so, vice versa.

              And perhaps the most INTERESTING non-Jewish ethnic group
              with impeccable Yahwistic credentials would be the Rechabites.

              Talmud tells us that the Rechabites that Saul spared from his
              attack on the Amalekites would eventually marry into the family
              of the High Priest (see Eisenman's JAMES THE BROTHER OF JESUS).

              You also ask:

              "... whose "use of the term Hellene or Hellenistic Jew" are you
              referring to?"

              Frankly, I think ALL of the uses of HELLENE or HELLENISTIC
              Jew by any of the N.T. writers is being used in this sense.
              Since we KNOW there was a fairly large population of "Samaritans"
              swirling about.... what term do we RESERVE for these Hebrew
              if we assign the term "Hellene" to JUDAH-ites of the Diaspora?
              A close analysis of the use of this and related terms would
              indicate people who are RELIGIOUSLY "Jewish", but not ETHNICALLY
              "Jewish".

              George
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 27, 2002
                Thanks to all who responded. It's good to see that an
                interest in statistical analysis of Johannine texts
                exists and that some people are working on this. I
                hope that some of this work becomes public at some
                point.

                447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

                http://auctions.yahoo.com
              • Yuri Kuchinsky
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 29, 2002
                  On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, historynow2002 wrote:

                  > Yuri,
                  >
                  > You ask:
                  >
                  > " What is a non-Jewish Hebrew?"
                  >

                  > Well, technically speaking, a Benjaminite would be considered
                  > someone who was Hebrew but not of the tribe of Judah. Of course,
                  > there might be those who argue that the Benjaminites were so
                  > thoroughly inter-married that Benjaminites would ALSO be
                  > considered Judah-ites.
                  >
                  > We get a further glimpse of Hebrew NOT of the Tribe of Judah
                  > in Ezra:
                  >
                  > Ezr 2:43
                  > The Nethinims: the children of Ziha, the
                  > children of Hasupha, the children of
                  > Tabbaoth,
                  >
                  > These Nethinims were part of the returnees to Jerusalem.
                  > And by most accounts they are made up of people who were
                  > descended of Midianites (taken prisoner in an early conflict),
                  > or Gibeonites (bondservants to the temple in exchange for
                  > their lives).
                  >
                  > And then there are comments that do not seem to equate
                  > JUDAH with ISRAEL:
                  >
                  > Ezr 2:70
                  > So the priests, and the Levites, and [some] of
                  > the people, and the singers, and the porters,
                  > and the Nethinims, dwelt in their cities, and all
                  > Israel in their cities.
                  >
                  > This verse helps to differentiate the Judahites
                  > who lived in Jerusalem, with all the REST of the
                  > remnant of Israel that dwells in other cities.
                  >
                  > And of course, in the New Testament, we get hints
                  > that there was a general attitude that tribes OTHER
                  > than Judah and Benjaminin were still extant:
                  >
                  > Luke 2:36 describes the prophetess Anna as a member
                  > of the little-known Tribe of Asher. And Jesus describes
                  > the role of the 12 apostles as being judges of the
                  > 12 tribes. This in itself would go a long way to suggest
                  > that the followers of Jesus had lots of Samaritans (i.e.,
                  > NON-JUDAHITE Hebrew). For certainly it would be extraordinary
                  > to have the NORTHERN TRIBES ruled over by those of Jewish
                  > ancestry..... and even more so, vice versa.
                  >
                  > And perhaps the most INTERESTING non-Jewish ethnic group
                  > with impeccable Yahwistic credentials would be the Rechabites.
                  >
                  > Talmud tells us that the Rechabites that Saul spared from his
                  > attack on the Amalekites would eventually marry into the family
                  > of the High Priest (see Eisenman's JAMES THE BROTHER OF JESUS).

                  Dear George,

                  I think I understand what you mean now. Indeed, a member of the tribe of
                  Judah (i.e. Judean) is not the same as "Israelite". Judah is only one
                  tribe out of the 12, but I thought this was already well known...

                  I think "Israelite" is the most inclusive term for all those who belonged
                  to the 12 tribes of Israel. But "Hebrew" and "Jew" are also pretty similar
                  terms, and can also be used inclusively for those belonging to the 12
                  tribes. "Samaritans" also have been known to refer to themselves as
                  "Jews".

                  It's clear that the Gospels of John and of Luke are more oriented towards
                  the northern tribes, rather than towards Judah and Jerusalem. So in this,
                  they seem to preserve the earlier tradition going back to Jesus and John
                  the Baptist, who were both Northerners.

                  We may note that GJohn never says anything about Bethlehem as the
                  birthplace of Jesus -- again preserving the earliest tradition.

                  Best,

                  Yuri.

                  equivalent to becoming God -=O=- Julian