[John_Lit] "I Am" sayings (was "Passover Themes in John 6")

  • Felix Just, S.J.
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 1999
      ejdanna@... wrote:

      > A few questions occur to me: What is the connection between this discourse
      > and chapter 4, and, Why does Jesus never say, "I am the water of life?"

      That's a very good question that I've often thought about, but don't have a good answer for. Since we are so used to the many "I am"
      statements in John 6, 8, 10, etc., we can easily imagine the Johannine Jesus also saying, "I am the living water" in chapter 4 already.
      But instead, he says, "The water that I will give..." (v. 14).

      There is an "I am" saying later in ch. 4, but this one is in absolute, not predicate form (v. 26). In fact, it is the first time that
      Jesus says EGW EIMI in this Gospel (for a quick overview, see http://clawww.lmu.edu/faculty/fjust/Handouts/John_IAM.htm).

      One might imagine other possible "I am..." sayings fitting in nicely with the dialogues of John 2, 3, or 5, so why does the first
      predicate "I am... " saying not come until ch. 6, but then suddenly occur in four variations (6:35; 6:41; 6:48; 6:51)? Does anyone have
      a good explanation for this?

      Elizabeth also wrote:

      > Is there a connection between the words from the Passover liturgy and John
      > 7:37f?

      Most interpreters would connect the water and light imagery of ch. 7 (and 8) with the Feast of "Tabernacles" (or "Booths"), which is
      explicitly mentioned in 7:2 (and 7:8, 10, 14, 37), more so than with the Passover Festival.

      Felix Just, S.J. -- Asst.Prof. of Theological Studies
      Loyola Marymount University -- 7900 Loyola Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 -- (310) 338-5933
      WebPage -- http://clawww.lmu.edu/faculty/fjust
    • Thatcher, Tom
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 1999
        Ladies and Gentlemen,

        Not being an expert on the Passover themes or the I Am sayings, I wonder why
        there is an expectation of an "I am the water" saying? It seems as if John
        associates "water" with the spirit from time to time, especially in chapter
        7:37-39 (which does, in my view, say that Jesus will become a fount of
        living water for believers). Of course, the "bread from heaven" in chapter
        6 is tying into the manna motif, and the broader idea of Jesus as a
        replacement Moses (discussed in detail by Meeks and, more recently, Norman
        Petersen). Is there some deeper background issue that leads some of you to
        wonder about the lack of a "water" saying? I ask this out of serious
        interest, especially my interest in FE's Jesus tradition.

        Respectfully,
        --tom

        "The Truth Will Set You Free"
        tom thatcher